AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B6 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b6-models-70/)
-   -   2003 B6 A4 Radio Reception Fix (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b6-models-70/2003-b6-a4-radio-reception-fix-180233/)

chrisWRX 03-05-2012 03:38 PM

2003 B6 A4 Radio Reception Fix

Tried to make the thread title as descriptive as possible since I had to do quite a bit of googling before coming across this gem. Long story short, wife's 03' A4 has had terrible radio reception for some time. Through several threads I found it was the "receiver" (or whatever you want to call it) that is located under the rear headliner and controls which antenna (these cars have 3) to use based on optimal reception. Anyway, these things are prone to cracking which you've probably found if you're experiencing this problem. They're about $350 new and hard to find in working condition used and are essential to having anything but the bare minimum of reception. After looking for a solid solution for some time I came across this one: Easy Cracked Radio Reciever Fix and while I know it's a cross link to another forum, the guy deserves credit since the method is well documented, pictures are great and it will end up costing you somewhere between free (take the clips from the office) and about $1 if you buy them in a store. Pretty awesome to have perfect radio reception again in about 10min worth of time. FYI I left the "receiver" in place while pressing/testing it for a good connection and then popped it off to put the binder clips on. The spot mine needed them was almost exactly the same as in that thread so I'd recommend trying there first. I used the "small" version of the clips (they usually come in 3 sizes). Hope this helps!

CRF Rider 57 04-07-2012 10:23 AM

Great info ...Thanks!

Wifes aftermarket Alpine has poor reception - took it out of the dash, played with the antenna connections and it actually got better reception disconnect from the antenna connection. This may be the problem!

sbardill 04-27-2014 04:36 AM

Audi A3 Radio poor reception (2003)

Dear Audi owner,

I would like to try the clip fix on my A3.

Can you tell me which trim headlining to pull back as it isn't too clear in the thread.

Cheers,

Steve B

chrisWRX 04-28-2014 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by sbardill (Post 1470392)
Dear Audi owner,

I would like to try the clip fix on my A3.

Can you tell me which trim headlining to pull back as it isn't too clear in the thread.

Cheers,

Steve B

I'm not sure if it's the same in the A3 but in the A4s there is a piece of plastic trim where the rear windshield meets the roof fabric inside the car. If you pull that off you'll see the radio antenna distribution circuit board referenced in the picture in the linked thread. Again, I can't say for sure if it's the same in an A3 but this is where it is in the A4s.

Barry Rogers 03-01-2020 09:41 PM

Quick fi

Originally Posted by chrisWRX (Post 1369375)
Tried to make the thread title as descriptive as possible since I had to do quite a bit of googling before coming across this gem. Long story short, wife's 03' A4 has had terrible radio reception for some time. Through several threads I found it was the "receiver" (or whatever you want to call it) that is located under the rear headliner and controls which antenna (these cars have 3) to use based on optimal reception. Anyway, these things are prone to cracking which you've probably found if you're experiencing this problem. They're about $350 new and hard to find in working condition used and are essential to having anything but the bare minimum of reception. After looking for a solid solution for some time I came across this one: Easy Cracked Radio Reciever Fix and while I know it's a cross link to another forum, the guy deserves credit since the method is well documented, pictures are great and it will end up costing you somewhere between free (take the clips from the office) and about $1 if you buy them in a store. Pretty awesome to have perfect radio reception again in about 10min worth of time. FYI I left the "receiver" in place while pressing/testing it for a good connection and then popped it off to put the binder clips on. The spot mine needed them was almost exactly the same as in that thread so I'd recommend trying there first. I used the "small" version of the clips (they usually come in 3 sizes). Hope this helps!

my quick fix is to take the unit out, disconnecting all cables. Clean the cables, plugs male/female surfaces w IPA/methylated spirits as well as the metal contacts and back screen antenna pads. My unit did not respond to the pressure test but cleaning everything did work.

Barry Rogers 03-02-2020 03:58 AM

Easy radio antenna fix when not cracked

My quick fix is to take the unit out, disconnecting all cables. Clean the cables and plugs male/female surfaces w IPA/methylated spirits as well as the metal contacts and back screen antenna pads. My unit did not respond to the squeeze test but cleaning everything did work. 100% reception now.

turbo510 03-02-2020 07:18 PM

I learned the hard way that the antenna amplifier unit gets powered through the Coax cable's braided shield, rather than that shield being grounded, as I expected. I had installed an aftermarket touchscreen NAV head unit (which had no instructions), and came with an antenna adapter connector which didn't fit my B6. I improvised and incorrectly grounded that coax shield, and then had practically zero radio reception. Once I figured out that was the wrong way, and that the new radio had a spare wire labeled "antenna", I connected that to the shield and was back in business.