B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

2004 audi a4 b6 wiper motor and wiper transmission change

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 06:39 PM
1st Gear
Default 2004 audi a4 b6 wiper motor and wiper transmission change

Oh this is a tricky SOB to do. My wipers stalled in the up position. the trans gets water in it and will rust and seize up. But, it might be the fuse or the motor, so I checked the fuses, and then ordered the trans AND the motor, as I was going to be in there and didn't want to do it twice if the motor was actually the problem.

There is a good youtube out there to get you started. I was 'lucky' enough to have a cracked windshield, so I had the glass guy to show me some tricks. He did the windshield and then left the cowling and wiper arms off per my request. If you don't have a small, two arm puller, you've got a problem. there is very little clearance for the removal of the wiper arms, which no doubt are rusted in place. Plus, it is a leap of faith to try and remove the cowling without first seeing it done by a pro. He started on the passenger side and jammed a small screw driver down below the bottom glass rubber liner and pried the cowling up. That cowling has a lip that sits in a tight groove.

The trans is held in place by only three 10mm bolts. you need to take the top off of the ECU compartment, then remove three bolts holding the compartment in place. And fight to get the trans out with motor attached. once out, just replace the motor onto the new trans, and shove it back in. BUT, the middle 10 mm bolt has some adjustment possible in a forward and backward direction to adjust the new trans slightly. If it doesn't perfectly line up, the rotating trans will rub front or back, as you test it before putting everything together. And I'm betting aftermarket parts (or probably even OEM) like I used aren't going to line up perfectly. So, take the SOB out again, and bend the support piece at the middle 10 mm bolt, and shove it back in. Test to see if you are rubbing, and if all is good, then move to getting the arms and motor synced into the correct position. no matter where the motor starts out, as you push it around with a wrench, it stops in the same place every time when under power. That makes sense as the wipers need to stop in the down position. All I can say is getting this right is tricky and you will be removing the little rotating arm once or twice to get it right. Then reapply the cowling. I had to cut the middle round wiper hole larger because things just don't line up exactly. Wet the cowling lip before you start putting it back on. push it behind the driver's side hood, line up on that wiper hole, then bow it out and get the pass side end behind the hood. Go back to the drivers side and start pushing the cowling into the groove on inch at a time. reattach the wiper arms, using anti seize.