AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B6 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b6-models-70/)
-   -   a4 1.8t car dies at light randomly and trouble starting epc light cel??? help??? (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b6-models-70/a4-1-8t-car-dies-light-randomly-trouble-starting-epc-light-cel-help-163504/)

Vezon 01-23-2011 10:50 AM

a4 1.8t car dies at light randomly and trouble starting epc light cel??? help???

It all started after i refueld the cel light would come on then go away. then i would have trouble starting it taking the key in and out and pumping the gas pedal seemed to help would start up and the epc light would be on along with the cel. Its not the immobilizer because the light on the dash does not flash at all. this has happened about 7 times all random occasions such as me starting to go to work or me getting out of a parking lot or at a friends house. anytime i would have trouble starting it the epc light along with the cel light would be on but then i would turn it off it would start up fine with just the cel. then one day i was at a stoplight and my car died the battery light came on all i had was the radio on, i put it into park becase i was in drive pressed the gas pedal (stomped is more like it) got it to start epc light on with cel drove ok felt a bit sluggy. then i had trouble starting it again same situation epc with cel when it did come on. then car died again at a stoplight i had the turn signal on and a radio all died battery light came on put it into park then stomped the gas pedal i bit with the key turning started up turned epc light and cel now the cel stays on no matter what. i really dont want to be driving and have my car dieing randomly. i went to advanced auto parts checked the battery its fine holding the charge perfectly with load and without load the altenator is good as well then he went to pull the codes for my cel and to my dismay got 6

P0300- MULTIPLE CYLINDER MISFIRE
P0301- CYLINDER 1 MISFIRE
P0302- CYLINDER 2 MISFIRE
P0304- CYLINDER 4 MISFIRE
P0171- SYSTEM TOO LEAN
P0322- IGNITION/ DISTRIBUTOR ENGINE SPEED INPUT CIRCUIT NO SIGNAL.

he said i need a tune up and now im wondering were to start? also he said that driving with this many misfires can eventually make me need a new catalyic converter which would be costly. i pull out of the parking lot came to the light turned my turn signal on as i was about to accerlerating at about 1400 rpms car dies i hear something slam into something in the engine probably because it died while i was accelerating a little. battery light came on start it up again with epc light with cel on drove home it didnt feel right not like an audi a bit sluggish i guess? then left the thing on the driveway couldnt deal with it drove my honda for the day came home after work saw it on my driveway said why not got in started in about 3-4 sec normal no lights whats so ever kicked drove it around felt like my audi again was great now im wondering what to do the cel is not on dont have trouble starting for the momment but i got 6 codes from the previous cel i love this car but i cant drive with the suspense of it dieing randomly. please help

I have reason to belive that it is or narrowed it down at least to these Cts sensors the black ones have known to be faulty, engine speed sensor or crank position sensor fuel pump fuel relay fuel filter. anyone think this is right because if it is the cts which i hope that can be fixed and explain why my cel is on and off and the fact that iv been going through gas kinda quickly could be with the fuel pump filter or relay along with the cts sensor. engine speed sensor can i dont know how but from what iv heard seem to make you have trouble starting your car i think so, if i replace all this along with the tune up i think i should be fine does anyone else have any suggestions to if this is right?

shane.trammell 01-24-2011 10:28 AM

engine speed sensor. how old are your spark plugs?

Vezon 01-26-2011 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by shane.trammell (Post 1280361)
engine speed sensor. how old are your spark plugs?

Brand new :(

shane.trammell 01-27-2011 12:42 PM

Just replace the engine speed sensor and see it that clears it up.

auditech79 01-27-2011 06:06 PM

Im thinking he's saying his spark plugs and crank sensor ARE new?

If the crank sensor actually IS new the P0171 is the culprit, if you have a large enough vacuum leak it can misfire across all cylinders, even enough to throw off the engine computer causing a cam/crank sensor fault code.

Vezon 01-27-2011 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by auditech79 (Post 1281637)
Im thinking he's saying his spark plugs and crank sensor ARE new?

If the crank sensor actually IS new the P0171 is the culprit, if you have a large enough vacuum leak it can misfire across all cylinders, even enough to throw off the engine computer causing a cam/crank sensor fault code.

spark plugs to my knowledge by my mechanic are new, crank so sensor hasn`t been touch im still thinking about what you said about the coils failing because i could imagine that. the engine speed sensor i hae no idea but il talk to him about it. just so i know how would an engine speed sensor be replaced, where is it located etc. thanks for the help

auditech79 01-27-2011 10:22 PM

The engine speed sensor is located on the driver's side of the engine right next to the crank, if you look at the firewall where all those connectors are bundled together, the black connector is the engine speed sensor, you can follow it down to the sensor itself, its held in with one bolt. Of course this is easilly diagnosed as being bad by a good mechanic because you can check the signal either using a vag com (or equivilent) or an ocilliscope.

shane.trammell 01-28-2011 10:05 AM

The speed sensor is very easy to replace. took me about 20 minutes going slowly and from the top of the engine bay.

Vezon 01-28-2011 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by shane.trammell (Post 1281869)
The speed sensor is very easy to replace. took me about 20 minutes going slowly and from the top of the engine bay.

where would i get a replacment? and should there be any specifics types or kinds i should get?

shane.trammell 01-28-2011 01:21 PM

buy through an audi or vw dealership, or order from an online vendor like ecstuning.com