B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

A4 1.9TDi 2002 (B6) Overheating - Thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 07:32 AM
1st Gear
Default A4 1.9TDi 2002 (B6) Overheating - Thermostat

Please help. I am the proud owner of the above vehicle, and she has been serving us (family) very well over the last 407,000km (253,000 miles).

I am from South Africa where our normal daytime temperature (at this time of the year) is around 30 degrees Centigrade (86 degrees Fahrenheit).

I recently drove approx 1,500+ km to my holiday destination. During an afternoon/evening drive, the display suddenly gave an overheating status with the gauge sitting at 3/4s (say 110 degrees centigrade). I slowed down and managed to free/limp/drive slowly back home managing to keep the temperature between the 90'C and 110'C. I had the car checked out by an auto-electrician and the diagnostic dump showed a faulty temperature sensor. Error code stated: 17664 - Engine Coolant Temp Sensor (G62) - P1256 - 35-10 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent

The sensor (on the back of the engine close to the firewall) was replaced with a new one.

What happens: You start the car and set off. After 5 minutes of driving all well at 90'C. Then after approx. 10 minutes, up goes the temperature and within 1 minute she sits at 110'C to 130'C. Drive slower (60km/h) and the temperature starts dropping, sometimes even without slowing down. Sometimes she start returning back to 90'C and you can keep going at high speed for short periods before she suddenly starts heating up again.

Problem: I am in a remote location and the closest dealer is approx 200km away. The chance of getting either a water pump and/or thermostat in the next few days (December 2013 Xmas) is nil and void.

Possible solution: As the sensor, thermostat and water pump could be the cause for overheating (and the replacement of the sensor now ruling out a faulty unit), I thought that maybe I can remove the element from the thermostat (if possible) and at least get to a dealer in the next few days. This would allow free flow of the water (assuming the pump is working) which should not be a problem under the normal daytime temperature of 30'C (86'F). This is something one can achieve as a "field strip" project without too much of a problem.

Question: Is the possible solution viable? This process would then also identify if it could be a faulty water pump, in which case I will have all replaced (Timing belt, water pump, tensioner and thermostat) when back home.

Any advise will be appreciated. I will take the car back to the auto-electrician first thing tomorrow morning to do another info dump. Unfortunately I not not believe that a faulty thermostat and/or water pump will be part of the info as they are mechanical devices (if I'm wrong please advise).

I apologise for a long post, but had to get all the info out first time.

Thank you in advance for any reply.

Stoney

Old 12-29-2013, 09:00 AM
1st Gear

Normally thermostats fail open which would mean you'd never get up to temp..

I hate to be the guy to ask, but have you checked the coolant level?

Are your fans kicking on when they should?

Old 12-31-2013, 07:31 AM
1st Gear

Right, job done and all in good state. Have travelled beyond 300km since and she is in perfect condition!

Yes, it was the impeller that stripped from the centre shaft on the pump!

However, if I find the technician that worked on the crank the last time, I will have him fired from all Audi workshops! If he is the same guy that neglected to:

1. Tighten all bolts on the bumper struts,
2. Leave one nut out on the three bumper holding screws on the passenger side, and
3. Neglected to fit all of the components on the condenser.

I will have him banned lifetime from any workshop. His quality of workmanship and respect for someone else's property (and that we pay for excessively) is atrocious!

Why my first comment: The technician managed to completely strip one of the four bolts inside the crank pulley to the extend that I will have to use some special tool (referred to as an "Easy-out") to have the bolt removed. I did not have the required tools at hand with the end result that I could not replace the timing belt, thus will have to do it when I'm back home and open her up again! Getting used to this now.

I learnt a lot over the last few days, and realised again that we are certainly getting ripped off with the excessive labour costs on repairs.

The good thing is that I picked up a few other minor issues (like worn belts), missing bolts and nuts, missing cable strappings, etc. which I will attend to when I open up again.

The task at hand sounded extremely daunting, but in hind site, was a pretty ordinary job, BUT, patience, being alert, keeping cool etc. is the name of the game. You have to enjoy this kind of stuff as well, but in the end it was (and is) extremely rewarding!

And here's to a great 2014! Have a good one!

Stoney