B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

A4 Convertible Roof Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 03:08 PM
1st Gear
Default A4 Convertible Roof Problems

Hi all, I've been having problems with my roof and desperately need help!!! This is a bit of a long story so please bear with me! I started having problems with my electrics when it rained and after i washed the car. The wipers,windows and indicators wouldn't work and the dash lights wouldn't work either.Anyway to cut a long story shot it turned out that my back window was leaking and the water was running down the inside of the rear 1/4 and getting into my smart top module. I removed this and the electrics are now ok, however the roof has developed a problem. when i press the button to lower it the roof does not release fully and I have to release the button and press it again. The roof then goes down with no problem at all.When I then try to raise the roof the rear cover opens but the roof doesnt move. I have discovered that when the roof goes down the hooks at the front close mid way. I assume that when the roof closes the catches are supposed to open before the roof moves at all.When I use the key in the motor to open the catches the roof will then move up and close as normal.The 2 problems I have seem to concern the top locks. On Vagcom it says that the top roof lock is open and everything points to this. I thought the motor was faulty and replaced it tonight however it is just the same. Can anyone shed any light on this problem? Thanks

Old 11-08-2012, 03:47 PM
1st Gear

(Hi-jack) since all attempts to Post here on my own have failed...

2004 Audi A4 Quattro/87,000 Miles, Garaged/Pampered-
* Sunny day in Miami, decided to drive top down, I do, all day long. Top goes up/down 3-4 times w/o a problem.
* Time to go home, want to drive back top down. (This is where it gets weird) I for some stupid reason push the "Windows ALL down switch" (the Fat/wide one) while pulling the top down switch...everything stops! Top is still up (closed) windows go to the normal "half open position" in prep for the Top coming down, A/C goes off as usual, but now I'm getting the flashing conv. top icon (as in, it's in motion, but its not) latches stay closed, trunk lid stays closed, and now in the master caution panel of the dash, I have the huge/flashing "Soft top not secure" warning.
* I have had: the codes read (none) Checked fuses (all are fine)I have disconnected the Battery (didnt help) and, the same two warnings are still there, A/C now does not work at any setting/any temperature, and...the top doesnt work.

I have no earthly idea where the ROof motor is to check connections. I spent 20 mins in the trunk today looking for it, no joy.

Any ideas whats going on? I suspect I jammed/blew something when I did the simultaneous switch maneuver....any ideas? I'd love to have this resolved pronto w/o having to throw thousands of dollars at an Audi service manager to have it looked at. Thanks! Direct replies appreciated! desertsnake1991@yahoo.com

Old 11-09-2012, 03:53 PM
1st Gear

Here is my top update...(it ain;t pretty!)

I went down to the car full of optimism...your step by step briefing (thanks again) and the well done YouTube video that shows how to fix this problem.

Well, I get down to the Car, and Lo and behold...the emergency key is MISSING! Yep...so I drive over to the "Collection" Audi/Farrari/Aston Martin/Lotus/Porsche Jag in nearby Coral Gables (Marble floors, VERY rich people waiting for their cars in service...) and I stroll up to the Audi parts guy....

he looks it up...KA CHING! 325$ for the tool that is missing! I literally almost passed out! LOL! Anyway...there was a guy in the service lane with the same exact Car as mine...I asked to use his key, and he obliged.

I went in the parking lot, and fastidiously unlocked, folded, refolded, locked x 2, the whole shebang twice.

gave ole boy his key back, and I went back to the car to unfold the top and enjoy the Miami sunny 73 degree temps?? No joy....wouldnt work...

What DID happen after all that, at least the beeeeeeeeeep tone and flashing warning message have gone away. Now all the top does when I try to drop it is, the windows come to half mast, and thats it....I get the flashing "Top is in motion" icon....and nothing else. If I push the button to raise (the aleady raised/stuck closed top) the windows go back up, but nothing happens with the Top. Oh...and the A/C still doesnt work.

(You know the whole top drill right? Raise top, top seals, windows go up, AC goes on MAX...) well, NONE of that stuff happens anymore....

the AC not working...and that being a crucial step in the whole deal tells me that there is a switch, or a sensor SOMEWHERE that is not doing its job......any thoughts?

Also...I crawled around in the trunk the last 30 minutes...I have no idea where the Motor or pump for that top is, and where I could check fluid levels...I looked EVERYwhere....

ANY help...and I owe you forever...any ideas??

Thanks, Jim

************************************************** ************************************************** *********

"He Who Loses Wealth Loses Much, He Who Loses a Friend Loses More But He Who Loses His Courage Loses All"
Miguel de Cervantes
1547-1616
************************************************** *******************************

"Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat."--Fortune favors the bold.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:58 PM
1st Gear

did you ever get this problem resolved? I'm having the exact same problem with my car.