B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Any concerns with purchasing B6 Avant with non-synthetic oil?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 11:29 AM
2nd Gear
Question Any concerns with purchasing B6 Avant with non-synthetic oil?

Hey guys,

My wife and I are shopping around for an Avant for her, and we think we've found "the one". It's a 2003 Quattro with the 3.0L engine. 76k miles.

The timing belt & tensioner job has not been done on it yet, although the seller has all the maintenance records and the CarFax is clean. This is a one-owner vehicle and the price he's asking is right in the ballpark according to Edmunds website.

The only thing that has given me pause for thought is that this car has always had 10w-30 non-synthetic oil in it from the beginning.

I've always used Mobil One 0w-40 in my B5.

Just wondering if you guys think this would be a potential deal breaker for any reason.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:36 AM
3rd Gear

I use Mobil1 0w-40 in my A6 and it has 188k miles. I did buy a 2003 A4 3.0 with 69k on it three summers ago for my daughter. I received all service records and confirmed they had been using non-synthetic oil, but changing it regularly. I had it changed to Mobil1. It just went in for the timing belt at 85k and the car is running fine (except for an annoying clutch sensor CEL). So, as long as the oil was changed regularly, I would have no hesitation unless there are other things wrong with it. A thorough inspection of an 8 year old OOOO is always suggested.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:08 PM
1st Gear

As long as the oil has been changed frequently enough, I suppose it's *probably* ok. I'd personally be more worried about the cost of that T-belt service (IIRC big $$$$). Ask either that it be done before taking delivery of the car or that the price gets dropped to reflect the fact that it needs doing pronto.

Also, +1 to what ppgoal said regarding an inspection. Get it taken to someone who knows Audis and have them find everything that's wrong with it so that you know what you're getting into (and have them quote on the T-belt service while you're at it). As I'm sure you're aware from your B5, Audi repairs get expensive fast, so you don't want any surprises that you can avoid.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:41 PM
3rd Gear

A4 timing belt done right by the indie shop I used for 5+ years was $1150 last month.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:10 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks guys. I'm a little leery of asking for a price reduction from this guy, because he is exactly in line with what KBB and Edmunds' has on their sites. I don't know how ethical it is to ask for a reduction for something that will have to be done in the future. I mean, the guy is probably getting rid of it now so that he doesn't have to incur the cost of the TB job.

Am I just being too "Minnesota nice"?

Last edited by jdahlen24; 03-28-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:17 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jdahlen24
Thanks guys. I'm a little leery of asking for a price reduction from this guy, because he is exactly in line with what KBB and Edmunds' has on their sites. I don't know how ethical it is to ask for a reduction for something that will have to be done in the future. I mean, the guy is probably getting rid of it now so that he doesn't have to incur the cost of the TB job.

Am I just being too "Minnesota nice"?
I think it is fair to use those points as leverage for a better price. Is it a private party sale? Is he asking retail value?

Old 03-28-2011, 05:20 PM
3rd Gear

When I bought the A4 for my daughter the private owner wanted $15k. Based on it needing brakes, an oil change, and a timing belt (and a willingness to wait two months, during which I was lucky it did not sell), I got it for $13k. So it never hurts to offer less with reasonable justification. You can always go back to full asking price.

PS - MN nice would offer more than asking because they would feel sorry for him having to sell his car.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:00 PM
1st Gear

Yes, you are being too nice; don't buy somebody else's maintenance costs. That TB needs doing within the next 5K miles if not right now, and as such, it should either be done now or be cause for a price reduction. I know the owner's manual says start checking on it at 80K and change it by 105K, but if you talk to any knowledgeable mechanic, you'll be told to do it at right about the mileage it's at now in order to avoid the potentially disastrous consequences if it breaks on you.

Also, asking price is just that - it's what they're asking for the car. Negotiation is a part of the process, and upcoming or overdue maintenance costs factor into it. It probably either just got or is about to need new tires at that mileage, too. If it just got them, bonus; if not, well, I just got new tires in the stock 16" size in the fall and it ran me $600 or so. Between that possibility and the T-belt, I don't think it'd be unreasonable to ask for at least $1000 off the asking price, if not $1500.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:14 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by olstyn
Yes, you are being too nice; don't buy somebody else's maintenance costs. That TB needs doing within the next 5K miles if not right now, and as such, it should either be done now or be cause for a price reduction. I know the owner's manual says start checking on it at 80K and change it by 105K, but if you talk to any knowledgeable mechanic, you'll be told to do it at right about the mileage it's at now in order to avoid the potentially disastrous consequences if it breaks on you.

Also, asking price is just that - it's what they're asking for the car. Negotiation is a part of the process, and upcoming or overdue maintenance costs factor into it. It probably either just got or is about to need new tires at that mileage, too. If it just got them, bonus; if not, well, I just got new tires in the stock 16" size in the fall and it ran me $600 or so. Between that possibility and the T-belt, I don't think it'd be unreasonable to ask for at least $1000 off the asking price, if not $1500.
this man speaks the truth. Would u not negotiate the price if the car had dents out the outside. engine Maintence are like dents in the engine. either fix them and get the price they asked or drop the price and dont fix.