B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Anyone ever replaced their cab roof?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 03:01 PM
1st Gear
Default Anyone ever replaced their cab roof?

Hey,

The time has come to replace my entire roof on my 2004, A4 Cab... Car only had 25k on the clock, but unfortunately part of the glue that holds the glass to the fabric has gone.. So if it rains water can come into the car and then travel to GOD KNOWS WHERE ! Luckily my car is always under a roof at my place of work, and every night its in a garage... Even so, i can get caught in a storm on my way home and i'd say a constant trickle of water during a storm is finding its way into my car from the rear window..

So unfortunately time to replace the entire roof, as no-one repairs, or there's no glue out there up for the job, since these are fused together using special methods not replicable outside of the factory.. (according to everyone) If someone does know a way, please enlighten me and save me a couple of grand..

ANYWAY ,,,,, now over to my question..

How good are these replacement roofs i can get from places like Topsonline? For $1056, i can get a replacement A5 German Cloth roof... How good are these compared to the original Audi..

http://www.topsonline.com/index.php?...rmodelID=28000

I will say, my audi roof if soooooooooooooo good that you'd never know you were driving a convertable.. Any previous cabs i've owned, the road noise made you KNOW you were driving a cab.. With the audi, they must have used some really decent soundproofing cos you think you are in a hard top.. Actually my car is quieter than my wife's C230 Benz, which is a hardtop.

What i'm afraid of is going with one of these replacement tops then my car becoming noisy cos of all the road noise..

So I'm looking for some stories from anyone who's had to replace their ORIGINAL audi top for one of these different brands... How good is it compared to the original.. Does it include the grey interior cloth as well ?

I'm hoping someone will come back to me with, you can't tell the difference with the original.. Then at least i won't feel so bad about shelling out all that money !

Old 12-10-2010, 09:34 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by TheDoc46
Hey,

The time has come to replace my entire roof on my 2004, A4 Cab... Car only had 25k on the clock, but unfortunately part of the glue that holds the glass to the fabric has gone.. So if it rains water can come into the car and then travel to GOD KNOWS WHERE ! Luckily my car is always under a roof at my place of work, and every night its in a garage... Even so, i can get caught in a storm on my way home and i'd say a constant trickle of water during a storm is finding its way into my car from the rear window..

So unfortunately time to replace the entire roof, as no-one repairs, or there's no glue out there up for the job, since these are fused together using special methods not replicable outside of the factory.. (according to everyone) If someone does know a way, please enlighten me and save me a couple of grand..

ANYWAY ,,,,, now over to my question..

How good are these replacement roofs i can get from places like Topsonline? For $1056, i can get a replacement A5 German Cloth roof... How good are these compared to the original Audi..

http://www.topsonline.com/index.php?...rmodelID=28000

I will say, my audi roof if soooooooooooooo good that you'd never know you were driving a convertable.. Any previous cabs i've owned, the road noise made you KNOW you were driving a cab.. With the audi, they must have used some really decent soundproofing cos you think you are in a hard top.. Actually my car is quieter than my wife's C230 Benz, which is a hardtop.

What i'm afraid of is going with one of these replacement tops then my car becoming noisy cos of all the road noise..

So I'm looking for some stories from anyone who's had to replace their ORIGINAL audi top for one of these different brands... How good is it compared to the original.. Does it include the grey interior cloth as well ?

I'm hoping someone will come back to me with, you can't tell the difference with the original.. Then at least i won't feel so bad about shelling out all that money !
Going through some of my old posts and seeing that no-one ever replied to this, I thought I'd reply to my own post, in the hope that it helps someone else out in the future doing a search....

Following my story, I did indeed go with a non-audi top from Tops-On-Line, and had it fitted by ALL FLORIDA TOPS & INTERIORS INC
Fort Myers, FL 33912
239-433-9000
I can tell all those who are in the same predicament as I was, don't bother trying to glue it down, I wasted money (prob $200) on using various types of special glues, even had one imported in from the UK.. Nothing worked.. I just spent around $1500 from Tops-On-Line, I went with the A5 German Cloth, and it is EXACTLY the same if not better than the Audi Original.. Actually they even offer a lifetime warranty on the bond between glass and material.. Unlike the crap Audi put on their cars.. Anyway all the soundproofing is the same, which was my biggest concern... Audi wanted like 4grand, this place done it all for $1500.... Please don't let Audi rip you off, as they tried to do with me.

This was quite some time ago now, and its been perfect since I had it done.

Thanks.