B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Audi A4 Oil Sludge Letter from Audi, Not honoring my 2005(1.8t)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 03:12 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi A4 Oil Sludge Letter from Audi, Not honoring my 2005(1.8t)

Hello All:

My 2005(2004.5) B6 Audi A4 1.8t is suffering from oil sludge. The oil pressure light came on and I took it to my independant mechanic. He determined that it had oil sludge and suggested that I take it into the dealer because of the extended warranty for oil sludge. I towed it to the dealer where it has been sitting untouched for 3 weeks. This is the second B6 that I have owned. Yesterday I received a letter from Audi stating that they are extending the warranty on my first audi but no mention about my 2005. So I contact the settlement administrator giving them the vin to my car which is sitting at the dealership and asking for their help. My car has been there for 3 weeks and everytime I call asking for an update they tell me they are working on it. I appreciate them telling me that they are working on it but I need my car. I provided them with every single receipt for ontime synthetic oil changes which were on schedule, with noted mileage, vin number and dates. I am worried that they will deny my coverage simply because my car is a 2005 with a 1.8l turbo motor in it. My first a4 was still under the certified pre-owned warranty when the oil sludge problem started and they replaced the turb twice in 1 week. My current car has been out of warranty for a few months and I dont know what to do at this point. I have been doing a bunch of research on this forum and all other related ones and I know I am not the only 2005 owner suffering under these circumstances. here is the response I received from the oil sludge admin:

"The VIN provided is for a 2005 AUDI A4 1.8T QUATTRO/SPEC EDIT, and is not included in this settlement.
We are the Settlement Administrator and did not negotiate the terms of the Settlement or determine which vehicles would be included in the Settlement. The Settlement Class Vehicles are defined as Model Year 1997-2004 Audi A4 and A4 Cabriolet vehicles equipped with 1.8 Liter turbo engines. Your 2005 Audi is not included in this settlement and is not eligible for reimbursement.

Oil Sludge Settlement Administrator"

I dont know what to do at this point. PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 12-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Tech Certified

Call Audi Of America Customer Relations Advocate 1-800-822-2834 (AUDI)

Theres no guarantee it will help. But it HAS helped people in the past.

You have to remember its not the dealers fault. They are a repair facility with an Audi logo on it. If Corporate Audi is not willing to re-imburse the dealer for the repair. Then the dealer looses out. Some dealers will take a hit to keep a customer. But an engine replacement would be a major hit.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:46 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by krash69
Hello All:

My 2005(2004.5) B6 Audi A4 1.8t is suffering from oil sludge. The oil pressure light came on and I took it to my independant mechanic. He determined that it had oil sludge and suggested that I take it into the dealer because of the extended warranty for oil sludge. I towed it to the dealer where it has been sitting untouched for 3 weeks. This is the second B6 that I have owned. Yesterday I received a letter from Audi stating that they are extending the warranty on my first audi but no mention about my 2005. So I contact the settlement administrator giving them the vin to my car which is sitting at the dealership and asking for their help. My car has been there for 3 weeks and everytime I call asking for an update they tell me they are working on it. I appreciate them telling me that they are working on it but I need my car. I provided them with every single receipt for ontime synthetic oil changes which were on schedule, with noted mileage, vin number and dates. I am worried that they will deny my coverage simply because my car is a 2005 with a 1.8l turbo motor in it. My first a4 was still under the certified pre-owned warranty when the oil sludge problem started and they replaced the turb twice in 1 week. My current car has been out of warranty for a few months and I dont know what to do at this point. I have been doing a bunch of research on this forum and all other related ones and I know I am not the only 2005 owner suffering under these circumstances. here is the response I received from the oil sludge admin:

"The VIN provided is for a 2005 AUDI A4 1.8T QUATTRO/SPEC EDIT, and is not included in this settlement.
We are the Settlement Administrator and did not negotiate the terms of the Settlement or determine which vehicles would be included in the Settlement. The Settlement Class Vehicles are defined as Model Year 1997-2004 Audi A4 and A4 Cabriolet vehicles equipped with 1.8 Liter turbo engines. Your 2005 Audi is not included in this settlement and is not eligible for reimbursement.

Oil Sludge Settlement Administrator"

I dont know what to do at this point. PLEASE HELP!!!
Hi,
I have a 2005 Audi A4 turbo 1.8 also. My engine blew last week due to oil sludge. The car only has 57,192 miles. I also had an extended warranty. After going around for one week with Audi USA and the dealer, they informed me that they will be providing no assistance for the engine replacement and the cost is $9,700. Does anyone know where I can go for help? PLEASE

Thank you in advance.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:22 AM
4th Gear

If you have an extended warranty that should cover the engine. Is the extended warranty with Audi or someone else?

What exactly do you mean when you said the engine blew?

It does NOT take $9700 to replace the 1.8t engine, hell at that price you can buy another used A4 1.8t. A fully built 1.8t for making huge power cost under $5k, less then that for a built 1.8t that isn't even going to be used with a huge turbo setup.

If your car needs a new engine and Audi is not going to replace it for free, then the last thing you want to do is end up having to buy one from them. Why would you want to buy an engine at a price higher then you could go around to their used car lot and buy another used A4 1.8t? At $9700 they are basically bending you over seeing that it will most likely only spending 1/3 that to do the job.

If your block is still good you might as well rebuild it.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:12 PM
1st Gear
Default Help

The extended warranty was with Audi of America. However they are saying that the warranty started and ended when the first owner bought the vehicle and not when I purchased it as a certified pre owned. The engine just frozen when driving. It did not overheat or make any noise. Just stopped. Audi says Tire Plus used the wrong oil. I was NEVER told there was oil sludge and did the oil changes regularly. Audi wants me to buy a new car from them and have been extremely condensing calling me "honey" and "dear" . The service manger said the car would be sent to action and parted out and the car salesman said they would put a new engine in and sell it. I have gotten a quote from another mechanic for $3,900 to put in a rebuilt engine.

I am just at a loss what to do. Thanks

Old 04-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by christiane
The extended warranty was with Audi of America. However they are saying that the warranty started and ended when the first owner bought the vehicle and not when I purchased it as a certified pre owned. The engine just frozen when driving. It did not overheat or make any noise. Just stopped. Audi says Tire Plus used the wrong oil. I was NEVER told there was oil sludge and did the oil changes regularly. Audi wants me to buy a new car from them and have been extremely condensing calling me "honey" and "dear" . The service manger said the car would be sent to action and parted out and the car salesman said they would put a new engine in and sell it. I have gotten a quote from another mechanic for $3,900 to put in a rebuilt engine.

I am just at a loss what to do. Thanks
Theres something going on there that is very very shady. Sludge causes low oil pressure problems. You will have low pressure light on and the engine will be noisy way before your have critical engine problems.

I would call Audi Of America. Tell them you had a second opinion from a certified Audi Technician. Ask them if they could send out a TFM (Technical Field Manager) To verify the diagnosis.

It sounds like someone is trying to take advantage of you

Old 04-11-2011, 08:21 PM
1st Gear

Thank you. I will do that in the morning and let you know.