B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Audi A4 solenoid valve?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 06:02 PM
Default Audi A4 solenoid valve?

Hey everyone. I'm new to the forums, but figured I'd jump right in here and get involved. I just bought myself 2003 A4 last friday and have been doing some work to it, changing out some vacuum hoses, etc. In doing so I've taken the car to the dealer to have a tech give it a "once over"...They've found multiple vacuum leaks on the hoses that I have not changed yet (which I am in the process of fixing myself with parts purchased, seeing as it costs an arm and a leg for them to do it); and they've also found that I need a new solenoid valve. I'm just curious if anyone knows where I can get a solenoid valve for cheaper than $150 and what's the difference between a solenoid valve and a diverter valve..any input here?

Thanks!

Old 07-30-2010, 06:04 PM

Also, could the vacuum leaks be sending false/inaccurate readings to the oxygen sensor and mass air flow sensor?

Old 08-02-2010, 07:12 PM
1st Gear

The O2 sensor could trigger codes due to a vacuum leak. Basicly it looks to see if the fuel air mixture is too rich or lean, a output sensor. The MAF (Mass airflow sensor) is basicly a input sensor. Vacuum leaks upset the balance and can certainly make your car run rough, but even if it runs great a O2 sensor code does not mean that your sensor is bad. Fix all of the leaks and then you will be closer to trusting the accuracy of sensor readings. I am not sure about the valve you speak of..

Old 08-03-2010, 11:08 AM

Yeah, I had figured that was what's going on. I've replaced all of the hoses that were leaky, and I've fixed all of the vacuum leaks. The sensors are no longer reading that I have and O2 problem or a MAF issue. The only code that comes up now is that it reads "turbo charger issue" something like that..and I'm pretty sure that it's because I need that new solenoid valve; when I took the car to the dealer that was on of the parts they said I needed..it's like a valve that regulates air to the turbo charger I'm pretty sure....

Old 08-07-2010, 06:15 AM
1st Gear

Cool. I feel I was a little unclear, input/output - air and fuel goes in, hopefully a efficiently burned mixture goes out. I am not sure what code reader you are using, but many cheaper readers will not detect Audi proprietary codes. Even high end Snap-On and OTC Genisys Scanner with current software would not identify a ABS code on a Isuzu Trooper I have.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:05 AM

I'm not sure what code reader I was using either lol....all I know is that my precious codes, the codes of which the audi dealer told me I needed to replace the vacuum hoses for, are no longer there, and the audi dealer also told me that I need a new solenoid valve for the turbo charger, so my guess is that the "turbocharger issue" is the result of the me needing a new solenoid valve. I think everything else is good, except for that.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:09 PM
Former Sponsor

The valve you need is called an N75 valve. You can find people parting cars out or selling them in the classifieds, but getting a new would would ensure that your problem is fixed.

I can sell you one and beat any advertised price. Anyways, you have two systems on a turbocharged car to protect the engine and control the turbo system.

The first is the diverter valve. When the turbo is pushing the stock 8psi or chipped 18-20psi through the intercooler piping, SMIC, and finally into the motor, the throttle plate is open. When you are boosting and let off the gas all of the sudden, the throttle plate closes, leaving this "boost" inside the system, and forcing it back at the turbo. This air, if pushed back at the turbo, can cause the turbo to surge and eventually break it rather quickly. Because of this, a diverter valve is added to the system, that opens up to relieve the boost back into the intake track and prevent surging and turbo failure.

The other system in a turbocharged car is the wastegate. A turbo will keep building boost once the engine is moving, and will not stop at any set pressure. This extreme heat could also kill the turbo quickly, as well as cause detonation/knock and possible engine failure. Because of this, a wastegate is implemented to control boost. What it does is also open a secondary route for the engine exhaust to run aside from through the turbo.

Now, this part is hard to follow but try to stay with me. The wastegate has an actuator that opens with boost. It starts out at a certain pressure, say 6psi. With the wastegate connected directly to the turbo, the boost will be limited at 6psi because the full amount of air is forcing the actuator open. As air starts getting limited, the wastegate opens later, allowing a higher boost level.

A manual boost controller just limits air going between the turbo and wastegate with a ****, and an electronic boost controller limits the air with a solenoid. The factory Audi Bosch Management does this with its own solenoid, called the N75.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by R.A.I. Motorsport
The valve you need is called an N75 valve. You can find people parting cars out or selling them in the classifieds, but getting a new would would ensure that your problem is fixed.

I can sell you one and beat any advertised price. Anyways, you have two systems on a turbocharged car to protect the engine and control the turbo system.

The first is the diverter valve. When the turbo is pushing the stock 8psi or chipped 18-20psi through the intercooler piping, SMIC, and finally into the motor, the throttle plate is open. When you are boosting and let off the gas all of the sudden, the throttle plate closes, leaving this "boost" inside the system, and forcing it back at the turbo. This air, if pushed back at the turbo, can cause the turbo to surge and eventually break it rather quickly. Because of this, a diverter valve is added to the system, that opens up to relieve the boost back into the intake track and prevent surging and turbo failure.

The other system in a turbocharged car is the wastegate. A turbo will keep building boost once the engine is moving, and will not stop at any set pressure. This extreme heat could also kill the turbo quickly, as well as cause detonation/knock and possible engine failure. Because of this, a wastegate is implemented to control boost. What it does is also open a secondary route for the engine exhaust to run aside from through the turbo.

Now, this part is hard to follow but try to stay with me. The wastegate has an actuator that opens with boost. It starts out at a certain pressure, say 6psi. With the wastegate connected directly to the turbo, the boost will be limited at 6psi because the full amount of air is forcing the actuator open. As air starts getting limited, the wastegate opens later, allowing a higher boost level.

A manual boost controller just limits air going between the turbo and wastegate with a ****, and an electronic boost controller limits the air with a solenoid. The factory Audi Bosch Management does this with its own solenoid, called the N75.
i understand completely....believe it, or not...

can you provide me a quote to 29690?, pm if you like.

i'll start there.

just to clarify, this part you speak of is the "solenoid valve" that audi quoted me?

Old 08-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Former Sponsor

I believe so, it could be a few different solenoids though. There is also one for the secondary air, so before I get you a quote, see if you can get a part number or description of it

Old 08-13-2010, 03:08 PM

part number is 058 906 283F