AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B6 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b6-models-70/)
-   -   B6 A4 reliability (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b6-models-70/b6-a4-reliability-99400/)

mkaresh 04-20-2008 02:11 PM

B6 A4 reliability

Because existing sources of auto reliability information left much to be desired, in late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research at TrueDelta.com. TrueDelta reports absolute stats like "trips to the shop" that make the differences between cars much clearer. Results are updated four times a year, so any significant changes in a model's reliability become apparent quickly.

We've been providing results for 2002 for some time, and a partial result for the 2003. More participants are needed to break out results by powertrain.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, panel members receive full access to the results for free.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Vehicle reliability research

mkaresh 05-18-2008 01:28 PM

RE: B6 A4 reliability

May resultsrecently posted.

For the B6 we have results for the 2002, 2003, and 2004. The repair rates are relatively high for the 2002 and 2003, and then a little better than average for the 2004. Either Audi improved, Audis wait until out of warranty to require attention, or this is just the small sample sizes talking.

All three results are asterisked for a small sample size. I'd like to get rid of these and provide more precise results in future updates.

To help make this happen:

mkaresh 09-05-2008 12:30 PM

Updated results recently posted. In addition to the 2002 and 2004, we also have a result for the 2003 this time around. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 vehicle per year, with asterisks for results with inadequate sample sizes, and average odometer reading in ():

2002: 122 (74700)
2003: 91* (68100)
2004 42* (39700)

The result for the 2004 looks too good to be accurate--and the sample size is small. But the reliability of the newer cars does clearly seem better--and the repair rates for the B7 are close to the result for the 2004. The question, of course, is whether the repair rates will remain low after the waranty runs out. Time will tell--and this survey will closely track the cars as they age.

With more participants, we could provide more precise results. Especially need more 2003s, 2004s, and 2005s. The 2005s are tough, because that was a short model year.

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

mkaresh 10-01-2008 09:59 AM

Next set of results in November, with a preview for members next month.

540 A4s signed up so far. A very good start, but more remain needed.

ThreePointOhhh 10-01-2008 10:26 AM

2004 a4s are known to have better reliability and fewer recalls

mkaresh 10-29-2008 02:06 PM

I don't doubt it. In the repair rates we've been reporting, the newer A4s have much lower repair rates.

We've had very good participation by A4 owners, but more participants remain needed for all years. The the more there are, the better the information we can provide in return.

mkaresh 12-19-2008 11:19 AM

The latest results of the Vehicle Reliability Survey, based on owner experiences through the end of September 2008, have been released.

B6 A4 reliability, in terms of successful repair trips per 100 vehicles per year:

2002: 81, about average, maybe a bit better

2003: 88, about average, but small sample size

2004: 53, better than average, but marginal sample size

2005: insufficient data

Descriptions of all reported repairs have been posted to the site, for those interested in that level of detail.

Additional participants would enable more precise results for all years.

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

zwickau 12-23-2008 12:14 AM

My 04 has been driven hard and has yet to have a problem (knock on wood). Our family growing up had a 1980 Audi 5000 which drove solid at autobahn speeds (albeit took a while to get there) after 500,000km. It was a 5 cylinder and we never had more then a flat tire to prevent us from driving. No issues, just a great car, sold it used and abused (use to do light offroading with it and drive lots of gravel and winter roads). I learned to drive with it, and have always had an affection to Audis since. Sold it about 10 years ago still running, thinking about it makes me wish I still had it around.

mkaresh 01-20-2009 11:57 AM

This month's survey is the last before the February results. Sample sizes have been marginal for the B6 A4, so additional participants would be very helpful.

Audi reliability research

ppgoal 01-27-2009 02:08 PM

It doesn't surprise me that problems increase as the vehicles age -- simple wear and tear explains that and individual driving habits can cause problems. The person who bangs through the NJ or MI pot holes will have more suspension, rim, and tire problems that the person who avoids them or lives in the south.

A more important measure is probably JD Powers first quality measures where they look at problems reported immediately after the vehicle is delivered. Consumer's Reports also track this on a wide sample and they report Audi quality has steadily improved.