B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

04 A4 with 65k miles on it. Need service advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 03:39 PM
1st Gear
Default 04 A4 with 65k miles on it. Need service advice

I bought my 04 A4 last May 2010 with about 55k miles on it. I've done a couple of oil changes but that's about it. I'm fairly new to the audi family but have owned a few VW's. I bought the car through a reputable NJ Audi dealership but I am not sure what service work was ever done. So my question is what service should be done at this point. I use the car daily and love it so maintaining it is a high priority for me. I am taking the car in for an oil change and to have the breaks checked this weekend so I wanted to see if anything else should be done like a tranny flush, air filter/cleaner etc.. It's an auto trans.
Thanks in advance for the input.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:29 AM
3rd Gear

Air filter and cabin filter should be done about every 30k (former you can do yourself). I would consider replacing fluid in both differentials and the brake fluid (A6 calls for bf change every 2 years). If spark plugs never done, they are probably due. Based on age, it might be wise to flush and change the coolant, which is usually done with a timing belt around 80-90k. At the rate you drive, that won't be for a few years and is probably worth doing in a 7 year old vehicle. The dealership should have service records if they have been taking care of the vehicle since birth - just ask them.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:57 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ppgoal
Air filter and cabin filter should be done about every 30k (former you can do yourself). I would consider replacing fluid in both differentials and the brake fluid (A6 calls for bf change every 2 years). If spark plugs never done, they are probably due. Based on age, it might be wise to flush and change the coolant, which is usually done with a timing belt around 80-90k. At the rate you drive, that won't be for a few years and is probably worth doing in a 7 year old vehicle. The dealership should have service records if they have been taking care of the vehicle since birth - just ask them.

I had the oil change air filter and cabin filter done. I needed front tires so that was unexpected. Spoke to the dealer and they recommended doing the timing belt at 75k and also mentioned that the differentials have synthetic in them and are sealed so no reason to be changed. I'm sure they could still be flushed.
Thanks for your help !

Old 01-20-2012, 01:43 PM
1st Gear

Audi claims differential and transmission are sealed and should last for lifetime so no need to change it. I believed that BS and then few years later got P0741 code (google it will give you more detail). So, I suggest the following to be done somewhere between 65 - 75k miles:

timing belt (should also include water pump, thermostat, tensioner... etc)
transmission and differential fluid change
fuel filter
spark plugs

You may also want to check power steering fluid level. Those mineral based fluid vaporize and eventually will run out of it. The color should be green, if it turns really dark (like black), then a power steering fluid flush is a good idea.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:01 PM
1st Gear

Hey Studiovette, so I'm a new audi owner as well. I have an 04 with 73k, now 79k. I bought it last June and already put $4000 into it. For starters my oil pressure regulator failed a week after I bought it, my timing belt and water pump was changed, seals replaced, coolant flange replaced and my transmission control module replaced. All this in less than one year. I don't drive it hard and I try to baby it. I'm really starting to regret this purchase but I do love this car. So there are some repairs that you might have to encounter down the road. I'm contemplating on selling it now...

Old 01-22-2012, 07:40 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by USN_BMW22
Hey Studiovette, so I'm a new audi owner as well. I have an 04 with 73k, now 79k. I bought it last June and already put $4000 into it. For starters my oil pressure regulator failed a week after I bought it, my timing belt and water pump was changed, seals replaced, coolant flange replaced and my transmission control module replaced. All this in less than one year. I don't drive it hard and I try to baby it. I'm really starting to regret this purchase but I do love this car. So there are some repairs that you might have to encounter down the road. I'm contemplating on selling it now...

Sorry to hear you had all those issues. That sucks. But why sell it after you did all that ? Enjoy it now. I guess I've been pretty lucky with mine. It's my daily driver and plan on keeping it for a while. Up here in the northeast you really need a dependable quatro especially this time of year. Good luck with whatever you decide to do and thanks for the feedback and list of parts and repairs.