B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Crankcase breather hose broken - Found during Valve cover gasket change

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 10:38 PM
1st Gear
Default Crankcase breather hose broken - Found during Valve cover gasket change

I replaced the valve cover gasket on my wife's car today (Audi A4 1.8T) and noticed that one of the hoses from the crankcase breather on the back of the valve cover was broken. I borrowed the attached picture from A4mods.com to show you what I am talking about. The hose is a little different than the one on our car but the circle is the location where the broken hose is.

It's the hose that runs down the back of the motor towards the firewall. Is this portion of the hose common with breaking? What is the part number that I need and how difficult is it to replace? I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow if it's not raining.

Attached Thumbnails Crankcase breather hose broken - Found during Valve cover gasket change-breather.jpg  
Old 03-13-2011, 05:24 PM
Tech Certified

Yea that hose is very prone to breaking. you follow that down to the actually breather on the side of the block. Everything plastic under there is prone to breaking

Old 03-13-2011, 06:03 PM
1st Gear

I don't mean to thread jack, but is it very difficult to replace or clean that whole breather system? When I was replacing my cam adjuster gaskets, I noticed a lot of oil in a few different spark plug chambers and all around the outside edge of my valve covers. I'm thinking there might be some build up in pressure forcing oil out from around my valve cover gaskets and maybe other oil seals. The Audi dealership had mentioned something about my "vent valve" but didn't include it in the write up when they did the diagnosis.

Is it a very expensive or difficult job to do on a 2002 3.0L A4?

And again, sorry for thread jacking, but I didn't want to start another thread for such a similar problem, heh.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-14-2011, 11:03 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Audi Tek
Yea that hose is very prone to breaking. you follow that down to the actually breather on the side of the block. Everything plastic under there is prone to breaking
Would you happen to know the part number for that piece? Where the hose connects to the block (not sure if you would call it a "T" or a "Y" fitting), it's the portion that goes down and to the right. Do I have to buy the whole hose, or is it just a fitting that connects two hoses. I wasn't able to get a picture of it this weekend but should be able to get one this afternoon and post it up.

Thanks everybody!

Old 03-14-2011, 01:28 PM
4th Gear

cant u see the part number on the top right section of the hose?

Old 03-22-2011, 01:05 AM
1st Gear

had the same problem. Went to Audi dealer and asked to pull all the hoses needed to replace breather hose connections. Hoses needed to be heated to warp together. Brought the parts to my mechanic and he put it together for $75.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:52 AM
1st Gear

Well I have the part# but now I'm trying to decide where I want to get the part. The dealer wants $75 for the part and ECS Tuning wants $70 (after shipping). I've also found the part on genuineaudiparts.com, audionlineparts.com and audiUSAparts.com for $45. Are the parts from these three places OEM parts? Are they good places to get parts from or is there somewhere else to look for parts?

I'm tempted to just go to the dealer so I can have the part then and get this fixed as quick as possible.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:54 AM
4th Gear

u can get the park from geniuie audi parts. they usually ship out pretty quick if u can wait a few days. if not dealership or a junkyard if audis are common where u live.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:51 AM
1st Gear

I realise this is an old thread but just in case anyone is lurking here looking for answers there is a lot of information on this topic on Audizine, just search Crankcase breather hose.

Some will tell you to just replace the single hose with a piece of 3/4 heating hose and two hose clamps. Although from what I've read it is difficult to replace a single part in this system without breaking numerous other hoses and connectors.

Some will say remove all those VAC lines and don't replace them, just re-route a few and clean up your engine bay.

Others will say to just vent the crank case to atmosphere (which is basically what it is doing when broken) and either run a hose down beside the transmission so you don't get those nasty fumes in the cabin and oil dripping on your coolant flange etc, or to run it to a catch can.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:28 PM
1st Gear

my l shape crankcase breather tube is broken . Home Page > Search > 06a103213f > ES#7934 Crankcase Breather Hose/Tube - 06A103213F
i got the part gonna try to change it now hope its easy

Quick Reply: Crankcase breather hose broken - Found during Valve cover gasket change