B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

I didnt buy an audi, I bought a puzzle

Old 06-09-2011, 04:29 PM
1st Gear
Default I didnt buy an audi, I bought a puzzle

Alrit so this mystery is almost solved. almost..... I have had the following changed replaced or fixed engine speed sensor,timing belt and tensioner,air filter,fuel filter,spark plugs, coil packs, engine mounts. the problems decline with each fix and im almost there all i have now is an obvious misfire on start up the car shakes and i open up the hood to see the engine shaking. This almost always happens on a hot day (around 90) my car seems to have trouble being at normal (not under load) idle i beleive 900 800? the car almost always shakes at those rpms when i rev the engine sounds fine sometimes the car will rev itself just so it wont shake going up to 1100 at most. this rpm idle problem has been with me ever since i bought the car (5 months) so im wondering if there something big going on that iv just managed to miss.

The cel never comes on suprisingly on start up for misfire (cel flashing) it has before but now it just shakes which leads me to beleive only one might misfire at start.

I finally got a cel and the codes were for:

coolant temp sensor intermitent?
cyl 2 misfire (keep in mind brand new coil and plug)
system too lean (iv had the fuel filter replaced NO vac leaks at all)

i still get the humming noise on start up, which was due to me having a clogged up fuel filter for a long time and i guess it damaged the fuel pump now the fuel pump being damaged still wouldnt be the cause of this could it?

could there be a lack of fuel on start up that it could cause a cylinder to misfire? i have cyl 2 misfire and system too lean for it?

ANY input is greatly appreciated and thank god to this forum and its members for helping me get this far

Last edited by Vezon; 08-23-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Start with the coolant temp sensor - it's notorious for causing all kinds of wacky issues. It's cheap ($20-25) and not a bad install. If it's sending erroneous temp info to the ECU, the engine will be fueled incorrectly. If it's not a fix, rest assured that you've headed off future issues.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:34 AM
1st Gear

Did you ever replaced the fuel filter and the pump? I'm getting the humming noise and it's driving me crazy, I did replace the fuel filter and still getting the noise.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:55 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by BesI
Did you ever replaced the fuel filter and the pump? I'm getting the humming noise and it's driving me crazy, I did replace the fuel filter and still getting the noise.
ya i got the fuel filter replaced and befire i got the humming noise on start up i still do nnow just not as loud and as long the fuel pump is damaged on mine (hence the noise still happening on start up) and if yours still doing it with a new fuel filter then yea yours is probably damaged too now im guessing it will affect performance but 50/50 not shure and a new pump i think goes for 250-300 but if mine is causing misfires which i get sometimes on start up i might have to replace it.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:58 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
Start with the coolant temp sensor - it's notorious for causing all kinds of wacky issues. It's cheap ($20-25) and not a bad install. If it's sending erroneous temp info to the ECU, the engine will be fueled incorrectly. If it's not a fix, rest assured that you've headed off future issues.
ya i was debating that and its just behine the engine in the middle i found a good diy and i guess il go for it if its just 25-30 i swear the sensors on these cars are unreliable i had the engine speed sensor issue and my car would die while driving it (not safe)

Old 06-16-2011, 10:52 PM
1st Gear

also my fans have been acting weird they rarely work and when they do its at random momments then they shut off i started my car today to hear my the fans ******* exploding as in i thought they were going to spin out of control and fly off and this is was on start up alone engine dead cold i was in the drivers side and i thought i just turned on two lawnmowers not my car i go to the front to hear tornado going off and opened my hood to see the fans spinning like crazy! i know i sound ridiculous but god damn they were loud lol i need to get the coolant temp sensor changed because those are the main inputs for the fans right?

Old 06-17-2011, 09:37 AM
2nd Gear

If I've learned anything from this forum, it's that when ImTheDevil says to try something first, then that's what you should try first.

Change the Coolant Temp Sensor yesterday.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:06 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
so i got the coolant temp sensor changed and it turns out it had the green revised one in there already but did the swap since i was already in there i still got the code after start up
coolant senso intermittent my mechanic said that he is going to check the wires to and from the ecu other than that he would have to check the ecu but he cant since this isn`t an audi dealer. would do you think? could there be some bad wiring that the ecu cant read the sensor properly?

Old 07-02-2011, 01:20 PM
1st Gear

bump*

Old 07-05-2011, 12:57 PM
4th Gear

have u check ur check valves to make sure they arent corrided? My check valve under the manifold was gone and that was causing my car to studder.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I didnt buy an audi, I bought a puzzle