B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Door lock problem...

Old 02-09-2012, 09:00 PM
1st Gear
Default Door lock problem...

Ok so this morning as I got to work I parked my car, got out and started walking away. When I hit my door lock button on the key fob, I heard the locks lock but never heard the chirp. Went back and driver door is the only unlocked door. So I put my key in the door and got it to lock and chirp. Then when I went back to my car I unlocked it using the key fob and them doors unlocked and the lights came on as usual buttttttt driver door remains locked...have to put the key into the door to manually unlock/lock the driver door only. All 3 other doors work fine with key fob...any ideas??? Very confused here

Old 02-10-2012, 03:18 AM
1st Gear

It could be possible that the door lock actuator might have gone. It might have short which happens usually. I think replacing the actuator would help you out.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:30 PM
1st Gear

I have this IDENTICAL problem... I've searched around and looks like the most common answer is loose wiring or a faulty lock actuator. Nobody seems to have said what it really was though they just have ideas as to what it "might be". Idk about you but I would kinda like to know what I'm looking for BEFORE i tear into it. eager to hear a solid answer...

Old 02-10-2012, 10:01 PM
1st Gear

I would absolutely like to know exactly what it is before I go tearing up the door or w.e ... Guess I'll just deal with it for te moment, taking her in for an oil change/oil level sensor next week. I'll have them take a look and I'll report back.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:46 PM
MKV
1st Gear

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but did you guys solve this issue?

My all my doors lock and unlock with the interior button. All the doors lock with the key fob, but the drivers door won't unlock with the fob. What's more is that once the drivers door is locked with the fob, the interior switch won't unlock it. You have to manualy unlock it with the key. Really annoying.

Thanks

Old 01-28-2015, 09:21 AM
1st Gear
Default Door lock problem

As MKV, was there an answer to the problem please?
I have a 2007 S3 with exactly the same problem and having read various web sites and forums there is no clear answer to the problem.
It appears the best option may be to remove door card, questionably also the window although the lock may be accessed with the window in if you can work blind, and then remove the door lock mechanism complete.
Various suggestions indicate the fault may be dry joints, broken wires, faulty micro switches, burred plastic surrounds etc but none that have been specific to this particular set of circumstances.
Hence any indication of what the answer was would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 02-22-2015, 01:40 PM
1st Gear
Angry Maybe related...

I don't know if this will help, but here goes: I have a similar problem, but with the passenger door. It doesn't lock with the key fob. And, on that door I found a little rubber cap with a lock symbol and a slot for removal of the cap. When removed, under the cap is a cream colored plastic piece with an identical slot for insertion of the key, and this plastic piece turns 180 degrees. When I manually (with the key) rotate it 180 degrees clockwise, reinstall the rubber cap, close the door and lock the car with the fob; voila, it all works...until the next time. And the next time I lock the car with the fob the door doesn't lock. Pretty annoying....and where do I go from here?

Maybe just information you can't use; but maybe useful as well..

Wish someone with knowledge could tell us what's up with these locks!

Old 02-23-2015, 10:24 AM
1st Gear

When this happened to me, it was the harness in the door jamb.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:41 AM
1st Gear
Default Door lock answer.

I ended up stripping the door card out and removing window etc to remove door lock. When testing with it out the car it looked like a door closure switch fault. This I determined from measuring with a meter across all the terminals on the connector of the lock and finding which ones changed when individual micro switches were operated when the door mechanism was shut and then open. Having read various web pages I assumed I would be able to replace faulty micro switch. WRONG. My version of the door lock has all the microswitches encapsulated in resin so no chance of replacement, hence a new (second hand) door lock. It worked.
One point to anyone going down the same route, be aware that the type on my car (S3) was different to most of those on other A3's. So you need to remove to check number before buying a replacement. This just means either removal and installation twice or off road until replacement arrives, unless paying Audi prices.
My total cost was £59.95 compared to £288.00 for Audi to do the work!!
Hope this helps.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:12 AM
1st Gear

I just finished investigating and repairing my drivers-side front door lock actuator on my 2006 A3. I could use the key fob to lock the vehicle, but when unlocking the vehicle the drivers door would remain locked (everything else unlocked). I removed the door lock actuator, pulled it apart and found that one of the two small 12V motors had begun to burn out. You could actually see a blackened area at the rear of the motor where the brushes are located. Since replacing the motor the lock cycles perfectly.
Pulling the lock actuator takes time, but if you are methodical it's not difficult. I used a Mabuchi FC-280PC-22125 Door Lock Motor/Actuator, it cost me US$5.99 from ebay. Happy to provide instructions on how i did it if anyone is interested.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door lock problem...