AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B6 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b6-models-70/)
-   -   Driver Footwell leaking (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b6-models-70/driver-footwell-leaking-189809/)

adamellisuk 11-27-2012 11:48 AM

Driver Footwell leaking

Hi guys. Hoping someone can help me out.

I dropped my B6 off at the airport before travelling for 7 weeks and when i got back the right hand side of the floor was soaking wet. The back was an inch high in water.

I keep vacuuming the water out, but after driving for a few miles the water is just coming back. I presume there has been a build up of water somewhere and its just seeping through the carpets when i start driving.

Here is a picture of the front carpet. This is where the water seems to be building up and sliding under the carpets, soaking the front and back. It gets a lot worse than that too. While driving it gets to the point where it is sloshing around.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2enw9z8.jpg

Has anyone got any idea of how i can solve this problem, it would be greatly appreciated. ?

(Sorry the image is rotated, im not sure why its done that)

GV27 11-27-2012 12:04 PM

I think that's going to turn out to be clogged sunroof drains. There's more info about it somewhere around here.....

adamellisuk 11-27-2012 12:06 PM

I dont have a sunroof mate

GV27 11-27-2012 04:28 PM

Well, it's pretty much gotta be a drain somewhere. Seems like the sunroof is a frequent culprit but there are other drains as well. Check the area under the hood in front of the windshield where the battery, pollen filter and brake booster/MC live and see if there's a bunch of water there. Here's a thread about that:

Rainwater May Accumulate in Plenum Tray Due to Clogged Drains : Audi A4 Quattro Common Miscellaneou Problems

Doing a little searching, I also saw that AC condensation drain is a frequent culprit, but from your description that doesn't sound like it. Could be a broken windshield seal that letter water into somewhere as well.....

Oh wait - driver's side, right-hand side, Right-hand drive? Check the drain under the battery....at least I think there's a drain under there but I've never seen under the hood of a right-hand drive car so I could be wrong....

Chris

pa4ul 11-27-2012 05:51 PM

ur thermostat might be leaking also?

Dan1969 11-28-2012 02:30 AM

Neither, open the hood and check on the driver side firewall, there's a cover for the computer in there, a hard plastic, four screws hold it in place, when you have a crack or the gasket is not int there you will get a TORRENTIAL downpour in there. Guess what else is on the driver's footwell, your Convenience Control Module, so if you don't fix that leak you're going to spend about 600 bucks for the CCM.

Dozanti 11-28-2012 09:16 AM

What Dan1969 ^^^ said. In the bottom of the box, under the hood where the ecu is located is a hole for the computer wires to run through into the cabin. The gasket goes bad there as well as leaves/dirt build up holding water. Take the cover off, leave the computer connected but move it up and out of the way and take your finger and rub gasket maker all the way around the opening. After that, put it back together and throw a little around the hood latch cable hole. My b5 did it, and it was the first thing I did/checked on my b6

adamellisuk 11-29-2012 11:09 AM

Cheers guys.

Il try everything suggested. Is it even worth checking the two drain holes? I can check them from under the car to see if there is any leaves or what not blocking them but i just poured water left of air filter next to the battery and on the left side of the ECU box cover and the water did some from under the car. Maybe there not blocked (i was hoping so as the solution was easy)

One thing i was wondering is, how much water than the car keep. Every time i hoover the car, more water comes. It must be able to hold loads of water if it keeps seeping through.

adamellisuk 11-29-2012 11:12 AM

PS - I can only see 3 screws on my ECU cover?? Is one hiding in the corner somewhere. I have a right hand drive B6 so not sure if its a bit different.

Dan1969 11-30-2012 05:33 AM

I think it's only three. clean the car very well and dry it. It should all be well. Drain your battery well regularly make sure your drains are not clogged.