B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

What to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 01:37 AM
Default What to look for?

Considering buying an A4. Found a 2002 with a 1.8T at a decent price. Just had the timing belt replaced recently, etc.

Keep hearing alot of "don't buy used" etc etc. Wasn't sure what to think entirely. Then again their suggestions are vehicles that are as boring and horrible as anything comes (i've been suggested Rogues to SX4's).

Just looking for a B6. Dunno if I should go for the 1.8T or the 3.0. Also been looking at similar A6's just dunno about the 3.0 in those. And don't wanna deal with the 2.7T's turbos wearing out.

Other weird question. i know the 1.8T has a decent aftermarket following but what about the 3.0? either way this vehicle will end up being a daily driver.

any help on what i can be looking for would be pretty awesome. I apologize for not using search as well. It's like 1:30am lol. Just kinda tired.

Last edited by tobythesandwich; 02-21-2010 at 01:41 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:12 AM
3rd Gear

The 1.8T has better aftermarket options than the 3.0. V6 is more reliable enginewise, the 1.8T has it's little hiccups because of the forced induction. Both have electronic gremlins. Go to the sticky on these forums.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:18 AM

Also, the cvt automatic (I believe that is what it is called) has problems in the 2002 model year. You didn't specify the transmission you were looking at so I wanted you to be aware. You can do a search to read more about that. Both engines are good but you'll have to do a little more upkeep on the 1.8T. The 3.0 is more reliable. The 1.8T gets a little better gas mileage. Really it is just a personal preference as to what engine you select.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:02 PM

I'm just nervous because I hear alot of bad stuff about them. I like Audis alot. I need AWD and Audis aren't doing too bad in price. I originally wanted a WRX but the only ones in my price range have been through the Advanced Auto Parts tuner aisle one too many times.

that and this will be my first financed vehicle. Everything else I've bought flat out in cash. I figure i've driven crappy domestics long enough. So i want to treat myself to something that isn't a complete POS and looks decent.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:35 PM
3rd Gear

Hmm, you will need to dish out money on maintenance though, do not spare any. Is not like the american cars, you cannot fix an Audi with a piece of paper and a string, it actually needs part and certified technicians, or someone with experience.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:17 PM
1st Gear

You're probably aware anyway, but since no one else has said it yet, get the car inspected by someone who specializes in Audi/VW before you agree on a price. That way, if there's something that needs to be addressed, you can negotiate price based on that (or walk away if that's appropriate).

As far as the A6 goes, I don't see why you'd be any more worried about the 2.7T engine than the 1.8T. If you're concerned about one turbo engine, why not the other? The only person I know who's got an A6 2.7T has been quite happy with it, and it's at around 100K miles (they've had it since about 30K). That said, it's a bigger, heavier car than the A4, which means that if you don't have a very light foot, it's THIRSTY.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by olstyn
You're probably aware anyway, but since no one else has said it yet, get the car inspected by someone who specializes in Audi/VW before you agree on a price. That way, if there's something that needs to be addressed, you can negotiate price based on that (or walk away if that's appropriate).

As far as the A6 goes, I don't see why you'd be any more worried about the 2.7T engine than the 1.8T. If you're concerned about one turbo engine, why not the other? The only person I know who's got an A6 2.7T has been quite happy with it, and it's at around 100K miles (they've had it since about 30K). That said, it's a bigger, heavier car than the A4, which means that if you don't have a very light foot, it's THIRSTY.
I've messed with VW's before. Not Audis though. I'm going to look at an A4 tomorrow. Gonna go over all the stuff on it that it's had done for maintenance and all. Can't get a VW/Audi tech to go since I don't personally know any lol. But I'm only looking right now. Nothing is set in stone.

And I hear alot about the 2.7t's having turbos go bad prematurely. I guess that's a worry because my biggest fear is extremely expensive repairs. I mean repairs won't be as cheap for an audi like they are for domestics or anything. But I don't wanna replace turbos prematurely. Especially the 2.7t's at $800 a pair lol. I guess it works out because I like the smaller styling of the A4. And the interior. The three spoke steering wheel is a big plus for me. Little things just bug me and that's what makes buying a car hard for me. I can't do tan interiors. I'm weird about it. Charcoal is the only way for me to go.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:27 AM
1st Gear

Eh, everybody has little things that bug them about cars - for example, I just hate the way the VW Passat looks, and it's very similar to my A4. The slight differences just happen to be ones that are enough to make me think it's ugly. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who can barely tell the difference and/or think the Passat is more attractive, but they're not me.

As for the A6 vs A4 thing, I'm with you on the size; having driven an A6, I certainly think it's a nice car, but it's a touch bigger than I like. I just wasn't aware of any tendency toward premature turbo failure (I'll have to go do a search on that). I imagine that means you're not at all interested in the S4 with the same engine then.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:09 AM
2nd Gear

Audis are easy to work on, uses a lot of the same parts as VWs. The car is no WRX, those are pieces of crap bc of the way theyre built.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by olstyn
Eh, everybody has little things that bug them about cars - for example, I just hate the way the VW Passat looks, and it's very similar to my A4. The slight differences just happen to be ones that are enough to make me think it's ugly. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who can barely tell the difference and/or think the Passat is more attractive, but they're not me.

As for the A6 vs A4 thing, I'm with you on the size; having driven an A6, I certainly think it's a nice car, but it's a touch bigger than I like. I just wasn't aware of any tendency toward premature turbo failure (I'll have to go do a search on that). I imagine that means you're not at all interested in the S4 with the same engine then.
Yeah I don't like the Passat. Although for some really weird reason I wouldn't mind having a W8 Passat Wagon. It's complete pointless and pretty ugly but i'd like one.

And yeah I read it somewhere on here because the A6 2.7t was what I was initially interested in. I'm sure the 2.7t is good. Just keep hearing about the turbos dying a bit early. I'm sure there are plenty of people here with little to no problems. I just don't want to risk it at the price it costs for a pair of snails.

Originally Posted by shane.trammell
Audis are easy to work on, uses a lot of the same parts as VWs. The car is no WRX, those are pieces of crap bc of the way theyre built.
Yeah. I think that's why the 1.8T appeals to me. cause it's sort of a "corporate" engine for VW/Audi. So it'll be easier and mildly cheaper to work on. That and if I do decide to go aftermarket I'm not limited with options.

and I agree on the poor WRX quality. but finding a sporty AWD car I like is kinda difficult lol. And the Lancer Evolution is definitely out of my range. Granted these are both just performance oriented vehicles and the Audi has that touch of class to it lol