AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B6 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b6-models-70/)
-   -   EPC Light and stalling (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b6-models-70/epc-light-stalling-152123/)

IvDogg 06-19-2010 05:57 AM

EPC Light and stalling

-Just recently my car stalled and EPC light and check engine light came on.

-Then the was hard to start back up, and when it did the EPC light remained on, and the engine idle was around 1100 RMPs.

-Next stop on my way back home the EPC light shut off and the car was running normal again.

-I figured it was just a fluke and drove it again the next day. Same problem, EPC light came on, except the car didn't die out, it just idled high.

-I pulled the trouble code:
STORED CODES

P0322 16
P0322 Ignition/Distributor Engine Speed Input Circuit No Signal

PENDING CODES

-I upon searching forums I found a few possible cause for the trouble code, I went with replacing the cam position sensor, it was fairly easy. I have a very recently had a tune up to include replacing of spark plugs and coils, recharging of K&N filter, cleaning of MAF, and typical oil change. About 1,000 miles ago I also had replaced the timing belt. Don't know if it matters: The car has APR Exhaust, Neuspeed BOV, and turbo timer.

-Upon test driving the car after replacing the cam position sensor everything seemed fine, but then all of a sudden the car stalled with the EPC light coming on, but no trouble codes this time. The car didn't want to start back up, so I had it towed home via flat bed. Later at home the car started up fine with no trouble codes. The car appears to be fine, but I don't want to drive till the problem is fixed.

-My current assumption is that my fuel pump is going out, I think the bumpy ride on the flat bed on the way back home knocked those brushes in the motor of the fuel pump enough to get it back going again, kind of like hitting it with a hammer or something. Anyone got any ideas of how I can be sure my pump is dieing?

-I also suspect it may be the crankshaft speed sensor? Is the the same as the engine speed sensor?

Or what else the problem could be?

Thanks!

shane.trammell 06-19-2010 12:32 PM

Its the engine speed sensor that is going out on you. Very easy to replace, there is a write up at audidiy.com. Here you go http://audizine.com/forum/showthread...8)-Replacement

I did mine from the top of the engine and just angled a mirror in there to see what i was doing. Much easier than getting under the car.

IvDogg 06-21-2010 04:29 AM

Thanks for the quick response, I'll give it a try once I get the part, I have to order it, no where seems to have one on hand.

shane.trammell 06-21-2010 09:53 AM

Try a VW dealership.

IvDogg 06-24-2010 05:43 AM

The part came in today, it was pretty easy to install, car seems to be running just fine now on one days test drive, hopefully the problem is all gone, thanks.

Pablo_Ottawa 06-27-2010 08:35 AM

Hey Ivdogg,

soooo jealous that I didn't get to you first. When I read this thread I was like "OH! OH! THAT HAPPENNED TO ME!"

Yeah with the help of everyone here I also determined it was the speed sensor and it took some gymnastic twisting of my wrists and arms but overall (like you said) the speed sensor was very easy to replace. Glad you're up and running again!!

Pablo

twoaudis 08-09-2010 05:23 PM

2.8 quattro tip speed sensor

Great article on the 1.8.
Has anyone done an engine speed sensor replacement on the 2.8?

AUDILVE 09-01-2011 08:41 PM

HI

I also had the epc light come on and mine was right after i did a coolant flush and took out my thermostat in the process of determining whether or not its my thermostat or water pump that are failing, basically i had a hose and water went everywhere but i dried off all sensors and cleaned them with some maf sensor cleaner and turned the car on (after several attempts that is) and it barely even idled, then continued to turn off on me every time i tried to depress the throttle so i figured maybe a sensor still had water on it and it short circuited and made my car go retarded since then i have disconnected the battery and searched the interwebs to find out its one of three things 1) the throttle position sensor is messed up( doubt it since it has never happened) 2) engine speed sensor(also it has never happened before) but since water was ERRWHERE i find it possible or 3) one person has had their dealership check the wiring harness and they found exposed wires that short circuited because said person was driving in rain that was quote "cats and dogs" so seeing that this is most like my case ima go with that but i figured everyone should be informed on causes and maybe make the diagnosing process a tad easier to this pesky problem

jesswestcoast 11-03-2011 11:07 PM

I cant wait to get rid of thos piece of crap epc light is on. check engine light is on wiring harness on drivers side door is fried. oil leak i cant detect never buying audi or vw in the future. smh!!!!

tmic0723 11-04-2011 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by jesswestcoast (Post 1343541)
I cant wait to get rid of thos piece of crap epc light is on. check engine light is on wiring harness on drivers side door is fried. oil leak i cant detect never buying audi or vw in the future. smh!!!!

I got the EPC light and CEL as well, and stalling from time to time. it was the engine speed sensor...