B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

esp light?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 10:04 PM
1st Gear
Default esp light?

hey everyone,

my battery died earlier today and after i installed it i went to start the engine. it cranks over and now that esp light is always on. how do i turn it off?

Old 01-15-2010, 02:11 PM
3rd Gear

try running diagnostics with a VAGcom tool to see what the problem is, sometimes you might be able to turn it off with it too just by running the abs pump. Running blind, withouth diagnostics I would say your ABS sensor is kaput, but I don't know... Also another thing you could try if you dare, is to disconnect both terminalsfrom the battery, then hold the disconnected cables together making contact among themselves for a minimum of 10 seconds to reset your computer, then reconnect to your battery and thatmight just do the trick... I say if you dare because seems like your problem occured when you disconnected your battery to beginwith...

Old 01-28-2010, 02:52 AM

disconnect the MAF cable with the car on and then plug it back in. Turn the car off and then turn the key in the "ON" position (the furthest position without turning the car on) for 2 minutes. Then start your car and drive it a couple miles.

The ESP light may still be on but should go off during driving or after the next time you start your car and drive again. You can't always just turn the car on and off as the ECU needs to have consistent readings from the MAF to signal the light to turn off.

Im assuming that nothing happens when you press the ESP button?

Old 01-28-2010, 11:35 AM
4th Gear

It will turn off just go drive around for a little bit. It needs to reset it self.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:34 AM
1st Gear

yupe i drove it down the block and the light went away

thanks everyone

Old 01-29-2010, 10:25 AM
2nd Gear

yeah pretty much anytime you have to jump start that light will come on.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:17 PM
1st Gear
Default ESP and ABS Warning Lights On

Hi all - I have had two warning lights appear on the dash of my Audi A4 B6 2002 1.9TDi
Coincidentally this started happening after jump starting my daughters Ford KA.
First off it appeared for a day or two then went away. Then a few days later it reappeared and has remained on since.
It is getting rather frustrating as I have now tried most suggestions here and to no avail including disconnecting the MAF cable and restarting and driving etc.
I am now considering buying a fault code reader to clear the codes in case they do go away and not come back (Vain hope).
Does anyone have any other tips before I spend money a code reader ?
Also, nothing happens when I press the ESP button, the light just remains on.
HEEEEEEEELLLLPPPPPPP !!!!

Thanks in advance to you all
Jason