B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Gas Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 01:48 AM
1st Gear
Default Gas Leak

Hey guys, i'm having a little fuel problem... Today I calculated the gas mileage I got after putting in $20 yesterday, my tank was already empty after 72 miles, gas was $3.69 a gallon, so I got 13mpg, ridiculous... I'm having a gas leak coming from the right side of the gas tank... I think I found the problem but I just want some opinions, maybe someone else has had a similar problem. The other day, I took out my back seats because people that rode back there kept saying they smelt gas, so under the right side seat, there was some gas, not too much, but some, and it looked like it had been leaking there for a while, the other side was bone dry. I took off the right side cap under the rear seats to show the fuel pump lock ring, and there was a little puddle of gas sitting on top of that, I got some advice and it seems it needed a new fuel pump lock ring gasket, and one of the plugs on the fuel pump lock ring had also been super glued on after it was obviously broken, i followed this plug, took off the fuel pump lock ring to expose the gas tank, and that plug lead to a little hose which i'm pretty sure is the overflow hose, so not too big a deal... I broke the same hose trying to replace the gasket, so I attempted to fix it a little better than just super glue. Anyways, I attempted to put the fuel lock pump back together, and the gasket just didn't want to fit in, so after several hours, I gave up, put the old gasket back in, did some research, and found out that Audi sold me the wrong gasket (a gasket very similar but not the right one...). I put another $20 into gas tonight after the gasket incident, and right after filling up, i checked under the car, and gas was dripping very fast, and turned into a little bit of a pour, I didn't really have an option, so I just drove home, when I got home, it had stopped, not a drop was coming out... Anyways, hopefully this isn't too confusing and someone has had some sort of experience with this, and help or advice would be much appreciated! Thanks for reading.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Site Moderator

The fuel pump tank gasket wouldn't cause a leak that severe, the lines on top of the pump are EVAP lines, but if they are broken gas would flow out if the tank was full. I would also pull the right rear fender well and have a look at the fuel filler neck, a lot of the EVAP lines are there and should give you a better look. You may need to drop the tank down onto the rear axle to access the lines for repair.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:24 AM
1st Gear

Thank you very much for the reply. I actually had my mechanic look at it and since that line was broken, it needs a new fuel pump, which would make sense since all that gas was leaing out. Thanks again!