B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Help! – thumping sound/feeling when pulling away 1st and 2nd, worse when car warm

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 07:08 AM
1st Gear
Question Help! – thumping sound/feeling when pulling away 1st and 2nd, worse when car warm

Hi!

I wonder if anyone can give me any advice/suggestions about a problem with my car. It’s a 2001 Audi A4 (B6) 2.5tdi Quattro. So far I really can’t figure out what might be causing it as the symptoms are odd and searching the web nothing quite matches!

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions! 

There is a thumping/clunking sound from rear of the car more on the left side I think, but difficult to tell exactly. You can also feel it through , like you have driven over a small bump.

Specific symptoms:
1. Firstly the odd part of this issue, I only get the problem when the car has warmed up a bit. If I try to recreate the problem when I first drive in the morning its fine and no issue at all!

2. Problem happens on the straight in 1st and 2nd gear when pulling away. I can occasionally feel it 3rd gear but not often and difficult to tell if it’s just a bump in the road when going at that speed. Car didn’t use to do this but is getting worse. When pulling away in 1st I get 2 or 3 thumps/bumps, then go to second gear and maybe another 1 or 2 thumps/bumps. The problem is much worse when going up hill but also happens on the flat, the bumps/thumps feel more severe when pulling away up a hill.

3. Also I get this problem when reversing out of a parking space and then pulling away, car has always done this but they couldn’t recreate the problem when I asked garage to have a look few years back.

4. Cruising around normally no problems at all in any gear. No issues when going over bumpy roads or around corners. Also no issues in gears 4 to 6 when accelerating.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:40 PM
2nd Gear

Have you rotated the tires? Changed tires? Rotate the tires correctly and see if it follows the tire.

By warmed up, you mean the wheel has been spinning for a while correct? not engine warming up - just checking.

I've seen this in the following scenarios: Tire has a flat spot, goes away with heat and/or speed.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:14 PM
1st Gear

I have the same problem. Any ideas? It's definitely not the tyres.