B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

HELP...Humming noise coming from rear when low on fuel...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:35 PM
1st Gear

I used a Genuine Audi Fuel Filter. How long does a fuel filter typically last??

Old 01-17-2012, 01:47 PM
4th Gear

i think my went out around 100 or 115? I cant really remeber anymore. . . Butit all depends on location if u ask me. not all gas is equal and esp. if u use cheap gas and not 91oct and above it will go quicker. though i have heard of people having theres go out by 60 or 70.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:54 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by comtois2
I've had the same problem with my A4, but I had my filter replaced and it continued to make the same noise. I haven't replaced the fuel pump yet, but i'm always a little nervous its going to stop working when the tank gets low and it starts to whine. Guess I've been lucky so far. It was about 20K miles since I changed the filter. It whined even after installed a brand new filter. Do you think it could be the fuel pump? Or should I replace the filter again?
Well according to the mechanic, they say the fuel filter doesn't make noise, it's the pump that's making the noise because of the fuel filter being clogged and hence the pump having to work harder. I think with a filter that needs to be replaced, it's straining the pump the same whether the gas tank is full or near empty, you can just hear it when the fuel tank is getting low because the sound now has space to echo around? I don't know. I sure hope mine doesn't whine after, I replace it. The pump and filter were both replaced by the previous owner just 2 years ago (16k miles ago) - I'd think it would last longer than that.

Did you take your car to the mechanic? I think they can listen with a stethescope or something as to whether something is wrong with the pump.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:55 PM
4th Gear

if u want to check if its the pump u can simply lift the carpet in the trunk. There are two covers with screws. pump should be the leftcover facing the trunk. just pop off that cover and u will hear it. I would say if ur pump is whining loud odds are the filter aint going to cut it.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:34 PM
1st Gear

Ok, so I had the fuel filter replaced today at a mechanic. He only charged me $50 for the labor so figured it was worth it rather than getting all dirty and fiddling with the clips and all myself. I wanted him to check the window regulator as well, which he replaced for free under warranty, so was going there anyway.

Anyway, i just picked up the car and he said there was nothing wrong with the old fuel filter and nothing clogged. Man, not sure why he didn't call me to tell me that because he replaced it anyway and charged me $62 for the part and then tossed the part her replaced even though it was good. I would've kept it. I hope he really replaced the part and not just put the old part back and charge me $62 for the part!!

He said that the whining would come from the fuel pump, not the filter (Audi Tek below said he's 100% sure the noise is from the filter), so I'm confused. The mechanic said if the pump is making noise it doesn't necessarily mean it's bad, he said if the whining noise changes from what it's doing now, then something might be going bad, otherwise I probably just have a noisy pump (it was replaced at the dealer just 2 years ago). Said nothing mechanically is wrong or harmful with that noise, and I would only notice a difference if the pump started failing as it woudln't pump sufficient fuel (so loss of power i guess), but if i don't notice anything different, then just leave it.

I won't know if it even still makes noise until i run the car down on gas, it's 3/4 full still.

Any thoughts or other experiences from you all?

Old 01-18-2012, 02:00 PM
1st Gear

Here are my experiences and concerns with my whining fuel pump:

Besides the fact that I'm worried the pump may quit and leave me stranded somewhere in the future, I have had a few experiences already that may or may not be fuel pump related.

When driving on the highway (when fuel demand is constant and steady) for an extended period of time (2+ Hours), if the fuel tank is around an 1/8 to 1/4 tank, I have experienced the engine shuddering from misfire. The CEL flashes and continues to do so until you pull over and shut the engine down. The car throws misfire codes on all cylinders. To me, this would seem to be a fuel issue. Either fuel pump or trash in the tank maybe. After scanning/clearing the codes and filling the gas tank, the problem seems to disappear. If i'm driving around town (which is what I do most all the time), it will never bother. I can run the tank down to fumes and get nothing. The problem arises only under highway conditions. I would like to be able to put this problem behind me without throwing parts at it blindly.

As I've said earlier, the only parts I've replaced on the fuel system was the fuel filter. Never done the pump or any injectors.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:13 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by abcxyzzz
Ok, so I had the fuel filter replaced today at a mechanic. He only charged me $50 for the labor so figured it was worth it rather than getting all dirty and fiddling with the clips and all myself. I wanted him to check the window regulator as well, which he replaced for free under warranty, so was going there anyway.

Anyway, i just picked up the car and he said there was nothing wrong with the old fuel filter and nothing clogged. Man, not sure why he didn't call me to tell me that because he replaced it anyway and charged me $62 for the part and then tossed the part her replaced even though it was good. I would've kept it. I hope he really replaced the part and not just put the old part back and charge me $62 for the part!!

He said that the whining would come from the fuel pump, not the filter (Audi Tek below said he's 100% sure the noise is from the filter), so I'm confused. The mechanic said if the pump is making noise it doesn't necessarily mean it's bad, he said if the whining noise changes from what it's doing now, then something might be going bad, otherwise I probably just have a noisy pump (it was replaced at the dealer just 2 years ago). Said nothing mechanically is wrong or harmful with that noise, and I would only notice a difference if the pump started failing as it woudln't pump sufficient fuel (so loss of power i guess), but if i don't notice anything different, then just leave it.

I won't know if it even still makes noise until i run the car down on gas, it's 3/4 full still.

Any thoughts or other experiences from you all?

your tech is ?***?
That whining is the fuel pump straining! One day ur car is going to end up leaving u stranded Trust me it happened to me. I had the whining replaced filter. Whining went away for a little bit. Couple of weeks later stranded on the side of the road looking for a towand waiting for a pump! and if ur car does leave u stranded one day easiest way to check if its your pump is at the fuel rail. Take off your engine cover and you will see a silver rail on the drivers side of the engine. It has a small cap on it. Take that off press that small **** or tab or however u want to call it and if not fuel comes out its your pump.

Last edited by pa4ul; 01-20-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:31 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by pa4ul
your tech is an idiot!
That whining is the fuel pump straining! One day ur car is going to end up leaving u stranded Trust me it happened to me. I had the whining replaced filter. Whining went away for a little bit. Couple of weeks later stranded on the side of the road looking for a towand waiting for a pump! and if ur car does leave u stranded one day easiest way to check if its your pump is at the fuel rail. Take off your engine cover and you will see a silver rail on the drivers side of the engine. It has a small cap on it. Take that off press that small **** or tab or however u want to call it and if not fuel comes out its your pump.
Did you replace with the stock fuel pump? And did the whining go away??

Old 01-20-2012, 11:54 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by comtois2
Did you replace with the stock fuel pump? And did the whining go away??
The previous owner replaced the fuel pump and filter 2.5 years ago (about 24000 miles ago) at the dealer. The whining has come back. i only changed the filter out this week and waiting for the gas tank to run low to see if the whining is there. I gather it still will be since the mechanic told me nothing was wrong with the filter that he took out...

Old 01-25-2012, 03:09 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Audi Tek
The noise is from the filter.......... 100% sure

The fuel pump doesn't make noise when its bad.... it just dies and won't start.

lol@ broken fuel line. Noobs...

Well, not sure how true the above is that Audi Tek wrote, because I did replace the fuel filter, and the gas is down to about 1/8 tank again and the humming noise is back. So I gather it's the fuel pump that is making the noise...

Quick Reply: HELP...Humming noise coming from rear when low on fuel...