B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Help! overheat, noise and smoke....

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 08:48 PM
1st Gear
Default Help! overheat, noise and smoke....

Please help!

I am a newbie here and in need of help! Can someone point me in the right direction on what may be the cause of this issue? I probably need to go to the stealership but I wanted to make sure I'm not getting ripped off.

Audi A4
3.0 6spd

Started today, driving around and all of a sudden temp gauge goes up and car starts to overheat. Pulled over let it sit for about half an hour. At start up I here this weird noise and smoke starting to rise from the timing belt area both sides. A smell almost like rubber or plastic. Didn't smell like burning oil or coolant though so I'm a little confused.
I added a link to youtube. You can hardly see the smoke due to windy location.

Could this possible be the water pump failure?
Can't be a thermostat right? would it make that strange noise.

I inquired this vehicle through a friend of a family member (military). Car has been sitting for several years. Purchased car at 65k with no issues. Not to sure if timing belt, water pump,thermostat has been done. Friend thinks it has but she does not know due military deployment of the owner.

Please any info will help!

thank you to all who read this thread!

Old 04-25-2013, 12:42 AM
2nd Gear

I'm going to have to say your water pump could be at fault here. It could have seized, so the belt could be rubbing along the pulley that isn't moving, allowing it to smoke / burn / make that weird noise.

Have you experienced any coolant loss? If the pump isn't running, coolant will begin to boil and evaporate. You will also have no flow from the top radiator hose.

EDIT: And no, your thermostat has no moving parts. It will not make a sound and it will not smell when it goes bad. Your car will let you know in more subtle ways. Subtle at least to start out, that is.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:33 AM
1st Gear

About time to replace your timing belt anyway..

Old 05-01-2013, 09:09 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar
I'm going to have to say your water pump could be at fault here. It could have seized, so the belt could be rubbing along the pulley that isn't moving, allowing it to smoke / burn / make that weird noise.

Have you experienced any coolant loss? If the pump isn't running, coolant will begin to boil and evaporate. You will also have no flow from the top radiator hose.

EDIT: And no, your thermostat has no moving parts. It will not make a sound and it will not smell when it goes bad. Your car will let you know in more subtle ways. Subtle at least to start out, that is.

You were right on the money! exactly what happen!

Thank you for your knowledge! Im learning everyday!

Old 05-02-2013, 10:51 AM
2nd Gear

I've never heard of someone so enthusiastic when it came to doing a timing belt job on an Audi!

Anyway good luck to you if you're gonna try and tackle the job on your own. We're here to help if you need help or run into any snags should you do it yourself.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:55 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar
I've never heard of someone so enthusiastic when it came to doing a timing belt job on an Audi!

Anyway good luck to you if you're gonna try and tackle the job on your own. We're here to help if you need help or run into any snags should you do it yourself.
Hahahaha!

I let the pros do it. Lol I couldn't afford to mess anything up. Two day turn around $1300 out the pocket.

...So the Modding begins!