B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

New B6 owner? maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 03:08 PM
1st Gear
Default New B6 owner? maybe?

What's up guys. I'm new here and at the moment i'm looking at gettin either a '03 or '04 A4. both with roughly 80K. What should i look for with these cars? I know Audi's are reliable but what checks should i do to make sure i'm not getting a lemon? Thanks

Old 12-15-2010, 10:20 AM
3rd Gear

Welcome - same advice every one who asks this question gets...
1-search and read threads about problems - learn from others
2-get full service records
3-pay for an independent inspection
4-test every feature, accessory, function, button
5-80k is TB replacement time so factor it in to your offer

Old 12-16-2010, 04:24 PM
1st Gear
Default Recent Purchase Experience

Originally Posted by ppgoal
Welcome - same advice every one who asks this question gets...
1-search and read threads about problems - learn from others
2-get full service records
3-pay for an independent inspection
4-test every feature, accessory, function, button
5-80k is TB replacement time so factor it in to your offer
I would like to add....I just bought 2003 3.0V6 Multitronic 2 months back....87,000 miles and my experience so far

The car had a major leak in the cam seals and cam adjuster seals...so had to get that done along with timing belt and water pump job...cost me $1300 on the V6 (This is btw dirt cheap compared to what quotes I earlier got). Audi changed the engine design n stuff on the V6 in the B6...hence all repairs and work on this one are super super expensive...same job on a TT would have been $600 by the same guy. In a nutshell my car is a semi lemon and i'm learning alot in this not so happy experience (Also officialy being my very first car and not family's...saved up money for that dream car)

Definitely change the timing belt sooner than later....it will be better for you in the long run and you will enjoy the car longer

To give a verdict...this car is a real beauty...i'm emotionally attached to her and just love it....but I know she's gonna be a pain in the a** high maintanence girlfriend...if you're prepared to deal with it....jump in

Try getting the 1.8T instead of the V6...trust me you'll be better off in the long run with engine work costs...unless u absolutely want the V6 power (and bad fuel economy)

If you know how to drive stick....don't think twice....its gonna be a lot more fun and is almost fool proof from breaking down and causing trouble....I have the CVT...its a beauty...but I drive more often praying that transmission doesn't cause problems...STAY AWAY

Lastly....apart from all the excellent tips the previous post has stated and some of my suggestions....ask for a warranty or a 30 day car return policy.....you don't want to end up with buyer's remorse....just in case

Keep us updated!

Old 12-17-2010, 04:13 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the great advice. But I instead got a 2000 passat gls. But this info should be helpful with my 1.8 T! Thanks again.