AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B6 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b6-models-70/)
-   -   License Plate Bulb Holder Screw removal advice (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b6-models-70/license-plate-bulb-holder-screw-removal-advice-206506/)

kjopen 03-29-2014 08:32 PM

License Plate Bulb Holder Screw removal advice

3 Attachment(s)
Posting pictures here hopefully to help someone out if they have the same problem I did..

Problem: Bulb blown and the bulb holder screw head is damaged.

First I drilled off the screw head and slipped the bulb holder off the remaining screw. Then tried ATF and easing oil to get the screw loose and remove it - no joy so went to next step.

Remove the Trunk handle/lock and lights assembly:

1: 5 minutes: Removed trunk lining - remove cap from emergency handle, this reveals torx screw that will allow handle removal, remove triangle to allow triangle holding clip to be removed, remove screw from 'handle/grip' inside trunk lid, remove rubber latch cover - just pulls off, then remove lining by pulling off all the clips (you don't need to remove the two black stops at the end of the trunk lid).

2: 10 minutes: Using 10mm ring spanner remove the four holding nuts from the underside of the handle/lock and lights assembly - keep them in order as the middle two have different brackets with them. Remove the two electrical connectors. Remove the lock barrel unit - 10mm bolt. Remove the cable release from the lock unit.

To remove the handle/lock and lights assembly you now have to make sure you push down the 2 clips at the top of the assembly located where the two lights are - you cannot see these clips, but you can feel them - here's the pictures. I wish I had these pictures before I struggled to remove mine!

The clip I am referring to is in the centre of the picture with the blue and red wires disappearing behind it. Push the clip down so it doesn't snag on the trunk hole as you are maneuvering the assembly out.

The last picture shows the screw that needed to be removed, I soaked it in ATF, then heated the casing around the screw from underneath, then rocked the screw back and forward until it finally came out with a pair of needle nosed pliers.

Fitted new bulbs, holders and screw - and made sure I put plenty of 'copperslip' on the thread.

pa4ul 03-31-2014 01:10 PM

that screw is very easily stripped. . . i used a small screw driver and pliers to grip it and turn it the right away.

kjopen 03-31-2014 02:33 PM

yeah, the kind previous owner stripped mine....

pa4ul 03-31-2014 06:31 PM

lol yea i had run into that problem also. I used a stripped screw remover that i bought at home depot! it made my life that much easier.

JakesWIAudi 04-01-2014 11:36 PM

Same happened with me. I just busted it all out and got the LED's and new screws.

ilackav8 04-20-2014 08:26 AM

my screws have almost nothing left of the head and really wanted to replace them. do you guys remember what size screws these things use? i can't seem to find that anywhere.

kjopen 04-21-2014 11:56 AM

no sorry, the new lights came with new screws also my friend....

pelletman 02-18-2016 02:29 PM

I'm trying to get the license plate light assembly out of a B6 sedan right now. I can't get my fingers between the light and the sheet metal of the trunk to push the clips you are showing in the pictures down. I feel like the outer bolts are stuck in the sheetmetal too. How were you able to press the clips down? Thanks!