B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Need Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 09:28 PM
1st Gear
Default Need Ideas

I bought my first Audi back in May. Its an 02 A4 1.8T. I have been thinking about moding it to get some more power but this is my first turbo vehicle and I am not sure exactly what I can do to make my car faster without breaking the bank...any ideas?

Old 11-22-2010, 11:31 PM
1st Gear
Default I've been researching this, too...

Seems most people recommend starting out with APR stage 1 ECU upgrade, which reportedly boosts HP to about 200 at peak. That's the most affordable and least "domino effect" approach (that is to say, you don't have to make a bunch of additional mods to support the power boost). Looks like around $500.

After that, there's lots of talk of exhaust upgrades, CAI (cold air intake... which usually creates a big argument about relative merits), and finally turbo upgrades which are expensive and do require additional mods.

I plan on doing the stage 1 chip mod after I get my boost gauge installed so I have clarity about my existing turbo's performance. I'm worried it might not be right, and no point in chipping the thing if the turbo's under-performing.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:40 PM
1st Gear

thanks a lot for your help. I researched the ecu upgrade and I can get the stage one plus(which comes with injectors and I think an extra program) intalled about 45 mins from my hous for 600! I too am looking to put in a boost gauge before I get the upgrade. I dont like that the only option for placement is in the vent or on the steering colomn. I like the vent kit but its pretty pricey so I think im just going to modify the stock on with a small piect of pvc to hold the gauge and some plstic weld to hold it all together. Should cut the price down to about the cost of the gauge which I found at a local store for about 40$.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:38 AM
1st Gear

I just got the APR Stage1+ with injectors done last week bringing me up to 229 / 271 (91 octane is the highest we can get here in Cali).

The difference is amazing. I have had our 05 Cab for 5 years running bone stock (It is my wife's daily driver). I am now having the time of my life. The increase in HP is quite noticeable, but what really shines is the immense increase in torque. It is like a totally different car. I wish I did this long ago. Oh, I also bought the second program so I can return it to original when I am done playing and my wife needs to drive it.

I am going to look into suspension next, and then probably exhaust. From everything I have read here, the CAI makes the car sound good, but really does little to increase performance. Since our turbos are already intercooler, it stands to reason that cold air intake would be rather redundant (there is an entire thread on the "rocket science" aspects posted elsewhere on the site). As far as the turbo upgrade, it is a little pricey. Before investing a whole lot more in this car, I need to make a decision whether I am going to keep it another few years or save my pennies and buy an S5.

Last edited by casavieja; 11-26-2010 at 04:50 AM.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:31 AM
1st Gear

how easy is it to install the chip? and it won't ruin the engine?

Old 11-26-2010, 05:26 PM
1st Gear

This is a software that remaps the ECU program. I did a lot of research and had an authorized APR dealer, 2Bennett here in Davis perform the upgrades. I was assured that the motor/tranny would not be harmed with this procedure. I suggest you go out to the APR website for complete explanations, options, and also for a list of authorized dealers. Even Audi dealers have gotten into the act and offer the STaSIS tuning products. Trust me, these engines are expensive, and I would not fool around with it if I thought that there was any chance of harm.