AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B6 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b6-models-70/)
-   -   Need some help re: repair and complication done at Audi dealership (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b6-models-70/need-some-help-re-repair-complication-done-audi-dealership-149270/)

shane.trammell 05-02-2010 09:07 PM

no, if they say it was caused by sludge and all of the oil changes were done on time and by them the problem is not yours. You might need to call audi of america. some guys have done that with success.

shane.trammell 05-02-2010 09:08 PM

oh, and if they are putting in a used engine for 4k they arent paying anything. the engine is probably 1500 max and the rest is labor. if youre paying 4k find an engine yourself and take it to them. ask them what audi is covering exactly. check shokan.com for an engine price.

DanaB6 05-03-2010 05:52 PM

Honestly, if they told you not to worry about the timing belt for another 35k miles and that was the main problem then its their fault, second of all since this all happened after 2 miles of getting your car serviced by them they obviously f*cked up big time because all those lights should not go on at 1 time...If i was you i would get a lawyer involved and maybe go to court because this seems like its their fault and their making you pay for everything. Plus 4k for a new engine? 2400$ for a new module? Buy your own engine and take it to a local shop and save your self a few grand.

mjh218 05-04-2010 01:00 AM

Just found out that Audi also replaced the engine coils when they fixed my transmission control module. Could they have done anything when they replaced the coils that could have impacted the tensioner pully? Timing belt? engine in general?

DanaB6 05-04-2010 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by mjh218 (Post 1203021)
Just found out that Audi also replaced the engine coils when they fixed my transmission control module. Could they have done anything when they replaced the coils that could have impacted the tensioner pully? Timing belt? engine in general?

Well i don't know much about audis at all (german cars in genral) but the ignition coils are on top of the engine, theres not much work into replacing them, tranny module is somewhere on the passenger side? (maybe??? i have no idea) as far as it goes talk to the over-payed mechanic who worked on your car and ask him what he did and what he took apart, but you should work something out with them because they told you not to worry about your timing belt for another 35k miles and look what happened. Plus its pretty obvouius they f*cked up pretty bad because your car became useless after 2 miles of service.

mjh218 05-06-2010 09:55 PM

Ok...spoke to the Service Manager and this is what he told me based on their examination of the car/engine

The/a cam shaft siezed because of a lack of lubrication. Once it siezed it caused the tensioner pulley to break, which caused the timing belt to slip off and destroy the engine.

My question is....how does a cam shaft sieze? The car had plenty of oil and they checked my car and there is absolutely no oil leak. This just doesn't make sense to me. The oil light did come on about 5 seconds before the car shut down, but had never been on before that. I always had Audi do my oil changes and they always used synthetic oil. If there is no oil leak and I routinely changed oil....how exactly does a cam shaft sieze? He said there was sludge in the engine, which is why they asked me if anyone else had changed the oil.

They offered me $4,000 for my car as a trade in. Told them no chance since I owe $10,000 and the car only had 80k. The service manager said he would talk to audi of america and see what he could get done and the dealership would help out too.

Any info would be appreciated...

danzan 05-06-2010 10:16 PM

i have seen oil starvation in the upper areas, either because of sludge clogging up the oil journals or oil pump gone bad.

both causes are easily determined just by looking. the service manager should be willing to show the evidence of scoring or sludge to you. either case could cause the camshaft to seize.

Myst420 05-07-2010 02:37 PM

I would call Audi of America ASAP and tell them whats going on. If you have had the car serviced only by Audi (minus the brakes you mentioned) and there is oil sludge, they need to cover it. That is something they should have noticed. It isn't going to build up enough to seize the engine instantly, which means there must have been sludge for quite a while and they didn't catch it. IMHO, that falls soley on Audi, and they should be replacing the motor FREE OF CHARGE.