B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Non-Audi / Aftermarket Windshield Wiper Blade Solution for B6s

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 03:48 AM
1st Gear
Default Non-Audi / Aftermarket Windshield Wiper Blade Solution for B6s

With the help of member JMA, I was able to replace my wiper blades on my 2003 Audi A4 with Rain-X Latitude blades instead of using the wipers from the dealer. JMA described it as a "hack", which I sort of agree with, but the hack is MUCH better than using the proprietary and outdated version of wipers from the dealer. JMA also says that it's ugly - I'm afraid I have to agree with him. Either way, it's worth the swap to me.

Basically, this is what you do...

1 - Take off the Audi wiper just as you would if you were changing it.

2 - What remains is the arm and a plastic piece that is inserted into the metal arm. Squeeze it and remove the plastic from the metal arm. (tricky, but can be done without damaging the plastic in case you want to replace it) Refer to picture 1.

3 - A small metal insert will still be lodged in the metal arm. Squeeze that to remove it. I don't think the Rain-X wiper will fit in the arm if you don't remove this part. Refer to picture 2 (metal insert partially removed)

4 - At this point, take the Rain-X blade (with the adapter that came mounted on the blade in the package) and line up the holes on the wiper arm with your new wiper blade. Refer to picture 3

5 - Use a bolt and matching nut to secure the blade on the arm. (I used zip ties...speaking of hack)

Sorry about the poor quality pictures. but here you go...

Attached Thumbnails Non-Audi / Aftermarket Windshield Wiper Blade Solution for B6s-squeez-plastic.jpg   Non-Audi / Aftermarket Windshield Wiper Blade Solution for B6s-metal-insert.jpg   Non-Audi / Aftermarket Windshield Wiper Blade Solution for B6s-line-up-holes.jpg   Non-Audi / Aftermarket Windshield Wiper Blade Solution for B6s-finished.jpg  
Old 02-17-2011, 03:55 AM
1st Gear

Oh yeah, three things...

The Rain-X Repel version is the same thing as the Rain-X latitudes, but they come with a packet of Rain-X treatment for your windshield.

I used 22" Blades and they cover the windshield well.

Pepboys in the Bay Area have the Repels on sale - BOGO by main in rebate. For $23 bucks, you can save a bit of $ instead of forking over $115 for the Aero Wiper Conversion Kit from ECS...

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B6_A4-.../Wiper/ES6574/

Last edited by jinsojoo; 06-20-2011 at 12:48 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:20 PM
1st Gear

A better and cheaper solution, is to get the Trico 47-700 refills. Take the wiper off the car, and remove the old rubber wiper blade. Use a flathead screwdriver to spread out the very top blade holder to match the other ones, and slide the refills through till they lock. You can do that for about $7 and 7 minutes of your time! The very top holder crimped tighter, make it hard to get refills into, unless you spread it out.

Last edited by gsimms; 02-28-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:01 PM
1st Gear
Arrow Best Wipers For Audi A4

I've been using the trico neoforms for several years now and they work great. I got 2 sets for both vehicles w/ free shipping and will be getting $20 in rebates - awesome price. Easy install without adapters.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:13 PM
1st Gear

Jeff618,

Do those Trico Neoforms fit into the standard B6 wiper arm without removing the plastic inserts? Or, do you have different arms on your car?

This is the first I've heard of aftermarket wiper blades fitting a B6 (2002-2005.5) A4.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:37 AM
1st Gear

jeff618, I followed your link, and using their dropdown menus to select my car, I find that they do not list a model for an '02 A4. What year is your car? Also, +1 to all of jinsojoo's questions.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:06 AM
1st Gear
Unhappy

Sorry guys...my mistake. Its a 1999 A4. I didn't notice that this discusion was ONLY for the B6. Sorry for the confusion!!

Old 08-24-2011, 09:58 PM
1st Gear
Talking Rain-X Latitude

Originally Posted by jinsojoo
With the help of member JMA, I was able to replace my wiper blades on my 2003 Audi A4 with Rain-X Latitude blades instead of using the wipers from the dealer. JMA described it as a "hack", which I sort of agree with, but the hack is MUCH better than using the proprietary and outdated version of wipers from the dealer. JMA also says that it's ugly - I'm afraid I have to agree with him. Either way, it's worth the swap to me.

Basically, this is what you do...

1 - Take off the Audi wiper just as you would if you were changing it.

2 - What remains is the arm and a plastic piece that is inserted into the metal arm. Squeeze it and remove the plastic from the metal arm. (tricky, but can be done without damaging the plastic in case you want to replace it) Refer to picture 1.

3 - A small metal insert will still be lodged in the metal arm. Squeeze that to remove it. I don't think the Rain-X wiper will fit in the arm if you don't remove this part. Refer to picture 2 (metal insert partially removed)

4 - At this point, take the Rain-X blade (with the adapter that came mounted on the blade in the package) and line up the holes on the wiper arm with your new wiper blade. Refer to picture 3

5 - Use a bolt and matching nut to secure the blade on the arm. (I used zip ties...speaking of hack)

Sorry about the poor quality pictures. but here you go...
jinsojoo;

The info and the pictures are perfect, very good idea

Old 08-26-2011, 05:21 PM
1st Gear
Talking

Originally Posted by jinsojoo
Oh yeah, three things...

The Rain-X Repel version is the same thing as the Rain-X latitudes, but they come with a packet of Rain-X treatment for your windshield.

I used 22" Blades and they cover the windshield well.

Pepboys in the Bay Area have the Repels on sale - BOGO by main in rebate. For $23 bucks, you can save a bit of $ instead of forking over $115 for the Aero Wiper Conversion Kit from ECS...

Audi B6 A4 Quattro 1.8T > Exterior > Wiper > ES#6574 Aero Wiper Kit - B6AWK
Just got the wipers and the plastic clips from the Audi dealer for $58,this is exactly what I was looking for and the price is good too, also I got the plastic piece for the driver side wiper shield, good for highway high speed

Old 08-29-2011, 10:32 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the heads up, jinsojoo!

Didn't I read on here awhile back that the stock wipers for the B7's work great on the B6?

Quick Reply: Non-Audi / Aftermarket Windshield Wiper Blade Solution for B6s