B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Oil Leak (Spray?) Passanger Side 2002 1.8t

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 12:22 PM
1st Gear
Default No Luck

Well I am back from break and two fridays ago me and my friend couldn't find the damn leak. We got under the car but could not see where it was coming from. My power steering was down to the very bottom of the dipstick again and I am a quart low on oil after filling it up about a month and a half ago. I am afraid I am leaking both fluids which would explain the two puddles that i mentioned before. Although when me and my friend were looking in the front wheel wells for leaks like mikeresnik said I saw this rubber housed rod thing near the top of the well and i am assuming that is the rack and pinon like mikeresnik talked about? I will post pictures when i get home. This had a fluid around it that looked like power steering fluid. It was mostly on the front right wheel well. I am about to break down and start getting quotes for a shop fix. I went over my valve gasket and there is no sign of pinching of the rubber seal or any fresh oil. any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:50 PM
1st Gear

What I meant by rubber housing thing is the rack boot I think. That had fluid on it.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:11 PM
1st Gear

I had the same issues as you did and these are the things I replaced. Only thing is my car is a 2002 S4 with the 2.7T engine. It never hurts to take a look at these items on your car. I now have no more oil leaks, smell, or white smoke coming from my passenger side engine bay. Best of luck to you.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:33 AM
1st Gear

Alright I am making a point of going back and ending old threads that I forget to post my results.

I really appreciate all your guy's help and time.

Turns out it was my rack like mikeresniik first said.

So I started to shop around for new racks and shops to do it or to see how hard it was for a diy. I stumbled upon this website: Rack and Pinion - rack and pinion steering - rack and pinion remanufacturing - rack and pinion manufacturers - Rack Doctor
This prices were much cheaper than Rockauto (where i usually go) and another place I could find.

I decided to go with a shop fix but bring the part myself so I ordered from rackdoctor (< like the name haha) and had the shop put it in and just paid labor. Now here is where things get iffy. About 2 hours later the shop calls and tells me the mounting holes on the part don't match up with the one they pulled out of my car. Although on rackdoctor there is two models, 8th digit vin # E and 8th digit D, i am a E so i ordered that. I wasn't able to go down to the shop to see if they were lying because I was across town so instead of having to have them put the old part in and then wait to get it solved with rackdoctor I told them to use the local part. Costed me another $200 but oh well. I then went through the return process with rackdoctor and said that they sent me the wrong part. He said he would not charge a restocking fee if he did. He ended up not being very customer friendly when he clearly did send me the wrong part and I had to do a dispute on the credit card. I would still recommend him because I feel like my case is special. Sorry for such a lengthy story that you all probably don't care about but i just wanted you to let you all know about the site and the problem I had with it.

Thanks again for all the help.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:47 PM
1st Gear

I'm glad to hear that you got it taken care of, and thanks for letting us know what fixed it.