B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Oil Pressure too low indicator with Stop Engine warning - Dealer ripped me off

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 03:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Oil Pressure too low indicator with Stop Engine warning - Dealer ripped me off

Hi Everyone,
I own an AUDI A4 1.8T Quattro (2003).I had an oil change at 41,000 mi and was going on a long drive and all of sudden, Oil pressure indicator came up with immediate stop warning. So, I pulled it over and had towed to the nearest AUDI dealerbecause I had no option to bringit back to the guy whodid the recent oil change.
Now, the dealer neveranswered me whythis has happened. His answer was "It could have happened due to several reasons". But here is what their diagnosis was "DIAGNOSED VEHICLE HAD OIL SLUDGING CHKS CAM BEARINGS ALL LOOK GOOD NEED TO REPLACE OIL PICK UP TUBE AND RUN CLEANER THROUGH OIL SYSTEM", this is exactly what they have stated on the invoice. They charged me around 1200$ for that whole thing and he said sincestandard warranty had expired I have to pay out of my pocket. Of course had to do that.
After that incident had no problems, now it has almost 48000 mi and running good. I happened to discuss with my new mechanic about the above incident and he pointed that A4 1.8T had problem with oil pick up and I can claim that with AUDI. He alos pointed that the dealer should have suggested me that.
Is that true? Is it worth talking to AUDI customer care on this issue? Did anyone had a similar issue with this AUDI model and if so did AUDI help you guys fix it at their cost? Please let me know.
I found this forum interesting and thought someone would shed some light on my question and help me.

Thanks in advance,
Manoj

Old 07-11-2008, 04:53 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Oil Pressure too low indicator with Stop Engine warning - Dealer ripped me off

well first off, you have a factory warranty to 50k which should have covered it and furthermore audi 1.8t engines are known to sludge and actually have a extended warranty on oil sludge past 50k.. i believe it covers engines to 100k miles with proof of oil changes

you got a$$ raped!

Old 07-11-2008, 05:22 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Oil Pressure too low indicator with Stop Engine warning - Dealer ripped me off

Thank you so much for your reply!
I bought this car from an owner so, unfortunately I do not have proof for prior oil changes, but do you think is it worth giving a try with AUDI?
Since you said they have extended the warranty on oil sludge until 100K at leastI can try to have that applicable to my car for future purposes.
Do you know if this can happen again? or any tips to avoid oil sludge?

Thanks in advance,
Manoj

Old 07-11-2008, 05:25 PM
3rd Gear

Why i cant post here?

Old 07-11-2008, 05:29 PM
3rd Gear

Maybe you warranty was expired because of having 03 a4.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:29 PM
3rd Gear

It is either 50k miles or 5 (?) years if im not mistaken. Anyways, Papachristou is right, they have to fix the sludge problems for free up to 100k miles if u have the oil changes receipts.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:31 PM
3rd Gear

U said u dont have any receipts, thats another story. First of all find out why/when your warranty was experied. Then call AOA and just ask them about it and the sludge issues. See what they gonna tell you. Good Luck.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:52 PM
1st Gear

Thank you!

Old 07-12-2008, 12:20 PM
2nd Gear

hey protein, i checked my book, its 4 years/50k miles but regardless, its a known problem and he only had 41k miles on the car![:@]i would call AoA and try to be polite, firm and diplomatic, tell them the dealer never told you about the TSBs, recalls, extended warranties and what not...

i had an 03 jetta with 60k miles (warranty expired at 50K) and i hit a pothole causing the side airbags to go off.. went to the dealer, raised some hell with them, they pretty much told me to F off, i was out of warranty, called VoA and talked to them awhile and they agreed to pay for the entire $4K repair and rental car! later i found out VW was being investigated, lots of jettas had a similar problem, it was never a formal recall or TSB but it was an issue

Old 07-12-2008, 01:03 PM
3rd Gear

Papachristouyeah calling AOA is the choice right now.
and he only had 41k miles
I think its a girl

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure too low indicator with Stop Engine warning - Dealer ripped me off