B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Power Window Issues NEED TECH HELP !

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Default Power Window Issues NEED TECH HELP !

Hi guys,
Hope someone here can shed some light on my weird window problem. I have an 02 A4 1.8T and here is my story. My windows had been fine until yesterday !!! However, my window lock out switch button was not working right, I aksi found out as of yesterday. It would not stay locked in position so the windows on the passenger and rear doors were not usable from the other doors and only from the master switch on the drivers door. I actually found this out when I accidentally pushed it in while closing the door. Right after that It wouldn't stay in when it was pushed back in. After this happened the power window quit working on the drivers door and the other windows would not work from the individual switches on the other doors and only from the mater switch. Well today I went and bought a new master switch thinking that would fix both the drivers window not working at all and the other windows not opening from their individual switch on the other doors and the broken lock out switch as well. Really weird since all of this happened on the VERY SAME DAY !!!

Anyway after replacing the master switch today I thought that would fix all my problems, but it didn't. The lockout switch now works fine but I can still just roll the other 3 windows up and down by using the master switch and the drivers window does absolutely nothing still. It will not go up or down and is in the up position right now. Thank goodness !! It sure seems weird that that all this happened at the same time.

After looking on the internet for a similiar problem I found a post by two other people that had EXACTLY the same problem but a solution was not offered in the posts. Next thing I did was email the last poster and asked if he had fixed his problem yet and what it was. To my surprise he did email me back this afternoon and said he had actually taken his car in to the dealer and had it checked out and they said that he needed a new drivers door wiring harness. Apparently these cars have a problem breaking wires in the harness area where it folds up in the door jamb when the door is open and closed. Apparently all of the open and closing/folding breaks wires in the harness and causes this. Has ANYONE else had this same problem ??

Well I may eventually have to take it to an Audi store for diagnosis but this is just a weird scenario the way it played out. PLEASE let me know if anyone else has had this problem or is having the same issues. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED !! THANKS, KARS

Last edited by karskrazy; 12-04-2008 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:38 PM
1st Gear

As a matter of fact, my switch went bad a couple of weeks ago. My safety switch does not work, but I can roll down all the windows with my drivers side control buttons. The safety switch is stuck in the locking or off position. I just got back from taking mine to Atlanta to have that fixed among a couple of other issues. I kind of thought a new switch block would fix it. The rest of the buttons work. We'll see.... I get it back in a week or 2.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:16 PM
1st Gear
Default Power Window Issues NEED TECH HELP

I have this exact problem. It was like this when I got the car. Let me know if the solution comes with the wiring harness replacement. I have already replaced the driver's door switch panel and window motor. No luck. Thanks. Hank.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:09 PM
1st Gear

How much did they quote you to replace the wiring harness if you don't mind? I am having problems with the windows/driver's side switch as well...I came to the conclusion that it was either the actual button itself or the wires...I don't feel like taking the car in and then get quoted an excessive amount.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:50 AM
1st Gear

how much did this set you back and for sure the problem is the wriring harness? does the switch have to be replaced? i have the exact same problem and i'm going to see if i can take my car to my mechanic next week for it.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Default Drivers window problem

Hello, I've got an 02 A4Q with the same problem. Tried a new motor, still does not work. Switches test OK. Anyone find a solution yet? Thanks for any input, Dan

Old 04-03-2009, 11:12 AM
1st Gear

anyone know a good write-up for a window regulator installation....both my front windows went dead on me recently.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:36 PM

I have an 02 and this same issue is happening to me right now. How do I take the door panel off to check for myself? My window is stuck down right now. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:48 AM

Removal of the panel is quite simple. The long trim piece that runs from the rear of the door to the front that is about 3-4 inches above the armrest is pried out at the front edge. continue lifting this piece away from the door, there are about 4 or 5 snaps that hold it in place. when the last snap is undone pull the strip forward, there's a locating tang at the rear. Several screws will be exposed which you will need to remove. Under the grab portion of the armrest there's a small plastic cover which needs to pried out, you will find two screws hidden in the recess. The last screw is located at the very bottom of the door just about dead center. Now the door panel is pried away from the door, there are several snaps along the perimeter that must be released. Be prepared to release the cable at the interior door handle and two or three electrical connectors. VOILA! Good luck, Dan

Old 06-03-2009, 11:27 PM
1st Gear
Lightbulb Some ideas on the issue

Originally Posted by fdyoung02
I have an 02 and this same issue is happening to me right now. How do I take the door panel off to check for myself? My window is stuck down right now. Thanks in advance.
First off read this posting:
http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...002-audi-a6-go

I have a strange issue of all windows but my drivers window responding to go up and down, but only from the drivers control buttons, but the drivers window will not respond. Also all the other three windows will not work from their own buttons so this sounds electrical for sure!

Now it could be the wiring harness, which makes sense, but you need to go to an audi shop, not the dealer, and get them to check the code on the central locking control module. This way you can see if it is mis coded.

I am going tomorrow to get this done at the shop that flashed my ECU so i will re post tomorrow on what i found.

Just don't go buy a motor if other windows are giving you crap as well.

Quick Reply: Power Window Issues NEED TECH HELP !