B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Preparing to Sell -- What to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 11:43 AM
1st Gear
Default Preparing to Sell -- What to fix?

I have a 2002 Audi A4 1.8T CVT. I'm moving away soon and will not need a car, so I am going to sell it (as much as I love it). It has 133,000 miles and is in pretty good condition. It had a new turbo installed at 50k, a new CVT tranny (from Audi) installed at 90k (ouch), and has been well maintained by me throughout its life.

Currently, there are a few things wrong with it. Seeking advice on what to fix and what to just sell as-is.
  1. Crankcase breather hose broken. I think this and a MAF that needs cleaning is triggering the CEL.
  2. New shocks
  3. Engine mounts
  4. Brake fluid flush due
  5. Flaking/chipping black of plastic buttons on radio, driver window controls, and A/C controls.
  6. Trim on rear passenger window is catching on glass when it rolls up. Just looks bad, but I can probably fix it easily.
  7. Sunroof switch needs to be fixed, it's cranky and doesn't always work right away. Easy fix.
  8. Glove box handle has broken off. Requires replacement of latch. Only way to open now is manually from side of dash with passenger door open. This will require a new latch assembly, which means it will have to match the key I have somehow?
  9. Center console latch is broken. The lid still works fine, just doesn't latch closed.
  10. Dashboard (pop-out) cup holder is broken. Will only hold big cups, not small cups.

Tires are in very good condition. Brakes are in good condition. Interior, other than that listed above, is in good condition. Timing belt, serpentine belt, water pump, and thermostat were done around 95k and all seemed to be in good condition (although were replaced anyway). Battery is about 2 years old. Valve cover gasket was replaced a couple of months ago. No signs of oil sludge at all (I always used big filter and changed oil early).

So, with all of that in mind... what should I fix and what should I leave? Some of the easy stuff is a no-brainer (i.e., sunroof switch). Other things, I'm not so sure. Thoughts?

-Chris

Old 12-13-2011, 12:54 PM
1st Gear

spending the extra 1-2 thousand to fix your problems could make you 3 -4 more depending on the seller =]

Old 12-13-2011, 01:45 PM
2nd Gear

I think you should fix every one of those minor "cosmetic" interior issues. If I were a buyer and I saw that the cup holder, glove box and center arm rest latch were broken, this would make me think that the seller didn't take care of his car. I would then suspect that the seller may not have taken care of the important mechanical maintenance, either. In short, I would pass on this car and look for a car where it's ready to drive and enjoy.

You could probably get away with leaving the motor mounts, shocks and brake fluid change for the new owner.