B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Removal of Power Seat Motors without removing seat

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 10:38 PM
1st Gear
Default Removal of Power Seat Motors without removing seat

Well I have been fighting with my seats not going forward or backward for weeks and I finally fixed them. I thought I would share the experience in hopes to help someone else along the way.

First thing to know is that you CAN change the power seat motors without removing the seats. Yes, even it the seat is all the way forward or back...doesn't matter. Why would you do this? Because your power seat motor is not moving the seat forward or backward and the bolts are covered by seat track so you cannot remove the seat. Furthermore, I would remove and replace the motor without removing the seat even if I could remove seat, it wasn' that bad.

Removal of Fore/after (forward/backward) seat motor: If the seat is back, remove the rear seat so you can get lower and lay where the seat was and you can get down and look under seat..my seat was all the way back and I am kind of chubby and was able to look under seat. Use the correct torx bit and put it on a 1/4 drive ratchet and remove the two torx bolts in front of motor..you can get to them easily. Then pull the cable out of the motor NOT the seat track. once the drive cable is removed, just lift the motor out and reinstall the new one reverse of this method. I actually took my motors apart and cleaned them, put WD-40 everywhere and cleaned excess off, and put back together and they work great. If the brushes in the motor are worn you may have to replace them.

You can actually get to every motor under the seat without seat removal as long as the seat is not setting all the way down toward floor and height motor is failed. In this case, you can remove the 4 bolts to the seat and tilt it one way or the other to get to the motor.

SEAT MODULES: Seat modules can be replaced without removing seats, you can get to them..you likely will scrape up your hands unplugging electrical connections, but you can do it..I did. You just need to remove the drawers in front of seat by removing the 4 (two on each side) phillips screws on sides of drawer through drawer track. Then you can get to the modules.

CCM: Convenience Control module is just in front of your driver's seat under the carpet and can also be removed without removing seat if your seat is put in the all the way back position. It is kind of difficult to get the carpet back far enough but it can be done by removing sill trim and kick panel then pull carpet back and ccm is in black box right in front of the seat.

I hope this post helps someone else if they have seat motor or module issues. Most everywhere I looked, the norm was to remove the seats which may be easier for some but I couldn't remove my seats because the seats were back too far covering rear seat bolts.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:39 PM

So just because a seat is not moving doens't mean the motor is bad? possibily needs a cleaning... My sunroof motor is dying so I am wondering if maybe cleaning it is worth a shot?