B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Deciding to buy an A4 B6 any warnings?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 12:34 AM
1st Gear
Default Deciding to buy an A4 B6 any warnings?

Ok so I currently own a AWD turbo eclipse and I am soon to get insurance money and I am selling it. With that money I hope to find my self a good A4 but are there anythings you guys might suggest to look out for on these cars. Anything these cars are known to break or to pre-maturely wear any info would help thanks.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:03 AM
1st Gear

I'm in the same boat as you. Basically I'm getting the idea of. Timing belts are the devil, and the car seems to have lots of coolant related issues. and don't get one with a CVT (if you get quattro you wont have to worry about that one.)

But moral of the story is, unless you want to be royally f*($ed make sure the timing belt was replaced on time, or if it wasn't do it ASAP. Or look to rebuild your head at a minimum.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:26 AM
1st Gear

The timinG belt issue is something I suffered with on my car I had to rebuild my head but It was no biggie just a 2day job but I rather prevent it and I am trying to get a manual quarto so CVT is defenatly out of the question and what kind of coolant problems?

Old 02-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Banned

all the kinks should be worked out of the car if it was taken care of. the main problem was the coil pack-which should have been replaced under warranty. my packs were fine but audi replaced them anyway. the 2006 is a value since it's not that much different from the newer a4s. if you live where it snows and rains alot, the quattro w/ esp cannot be beat.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:51 PM
1st Gear

Do you think if I buy an a4 and take it to audi they will fix any recalls for free?

Old 02-23-2011, 03:36 PM
1st Gear
Default 1.8t or 3.0? I'm assuming 1.8t...

Originally Posted by clipsedsm95
Ok so I currently own a AWD turbo eclipse and I am soon to get insurance money and I am selling it. With that money I hope to find my self a good A4 but are there anythings you guys might suggest to look out for on these cars. Anything these cars are known to break or to pre-maturely wear any info would help thanks.
I personally don't like the 1.8t, but it can be modded for more power. This engine is prone to sludge, if the previous owner didn't use full synthetic, and coil packs going bad. Either the 3.0 or 1.8t will have to have their timing belts changed on time, but that's with any interfereance designed engine with a belt. Also, the CATs sometimes go out on these cars over 100k. I'm still on my originals with 184k miles but I did have to change all 4 O2 sensors.

The fuel pump and coil packs are covered under recall. Had my fuel pump replaced at about 130k miles and there was nothing wrong with it. Free at the dealer. Other than that, these cars are pretty good compared to the B5's.

Warning though, once you start modding a 1.8t, you will not be able to stop.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:18 PM
1st Gear

Sludge is not a big deal because I've learned the only way to really get rid of is by changing your oil more constantly with the correct oil and engine should clear up little by little or pull engine apart and clean it. And as for the coils and pump since they are covered I'll problally just as soon as I buy the car head over to an Audi dealer to see if the car had the recalls done and as for the cats? I am a very big straight pipe person on my DSM it wasn't a big deal because it only had 2 o2's and rear one did nothing so nothing would be affected but I'm pretty sure in see cars car will start running like crap do I have to get an o2 sensor simulator or defouler or something of that sort?

Originally Posted by shaundh
I personally don't like the 1.8t, but it can be modded for more power. This engine is prone to sludge, if the previous owner didn't use full synthetic, and coil packs going bad. Either the 3.0 or 1.8t will have to have their timing belts changed on time, but that's with any interfereance designed engine with a belt. Also, the CATs sometimes go out on these cars over 100k. I'm still on my originals with 184k miles but I did have to change all 4 O2 sensors.

The fuel pump and coil packs are covered under recall. Had my fuel pump replaced at about 130k miles and there was nothing wrong with it. Free at the dealer. Other than that, these cars are pretty good compared to the B5's.

Warning though, once you start modding a 1.8t, you will not be able to stop.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:06 PM
1st Gear
Default When I say sludge, I mean...

the oil pumps pickup line used to get clogged and starve the top of the engine of oil and burn it up (have to drop the oil pan to clean). That can be identified by loud chattering coming from the valve cover. Don't mean to scare you, just something to look out for. It happened to my wife's Passat.

As far as the O2 sensors - my car didn't run any differently at all. I just got a CEL that needed to be cleared and slightly crappy mileage. Not a big deal in the 1.8t's, easier to get to the O2's in them.

All in all, if you can wrench, you'll be fine. Lots of support. Nothing else major on the B6 chassis.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:24 PM
1st Gear

id say dont do it audi sucks. my car is nothing but problems since the day i got it go with lexus

Old 02-24-2011, 02:39 AM
1st Gear

[QUOTE=silveraudib6;1290199]id say dont do it audi sucks. my car is nothing but problems since the day i got it go with lexus[/QUOTE

Some one is offering me a good deal on an automatic eclipse with low miles. so i can really use that engine to put in mine. just put my manual flywheel and im a happy camper so let me see what happens. and if it dosent happen i will look into an audi but if i say more complaints then cons i will most likely go with an is 300

Quick Reply: Deciding to buy an A4 B6 any warnings?