B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Smoke from exhaust, burning lots of oil, smoking, strange smells

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 03:33 PM
CCJ
1st Gear
Default Smoke from exhaust, burning lots of oil, smoking, strange smells

Hey all,
I have been having an issue with my 2003 A4 Qua Avant. Here is what I am noticing: Whenever I put the car into park or neutral, or even stop at a light, copious smoke comes out of the exhaust, more predominantly from the passenger side. It is a whitish smoke.
Occasionally too, while only after having been running for a while I can smell a funky not-quiet gasoline type smell when I am in the drivers seat.
Also, I am burning motor oil like crazy. I have been putting in about an extra quart a week. Here is a strange thing though, whenever I get the indicator that the oil level is low, there is no more smoke or weird smell at all. It drives fine, with exception for the fact that whenever I remove the motor oil cap on the top of the engine it smokes profusely.
One last thing I noticed is that whenever I am parked level, or down hill is when the smoke comes. If I am parked on an up hill grade, then no smoke.
Any thoughts?
thanks
CCJ

Old 05-11-2013, 07:39 PM
2nd Gear

It's probably your valve cover seals - both inner and outer - that are failing, as well as probably your cam chain tensioner gasket seals, and the valley plug that's in between your tensioner and the cam journal. Do you notice any oil on the underside of your car? Specifically around your oil filter?

Old 05-15-2013, 10:51 AM
CCJ
1st Gear

yeah, it looks like there are several, dime and quarter size drops on the ground under the engine....Is the car safe to drive? Thanks for your reply!!

Old 05-18-2013, 10:35 AM
1st Gear

Hmmm when I had massive amounts of white smoke pouring from my exhuast it was due to a blown turbo, and I was also losing oil at a ridiculous rate which was from the cam chain tensioner gasket.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:01 PM
2nd Gear

Depending on how much oil is leaking out, it may be safe to drive. If indeed you are burning / losing oil you will need to keep a close watch on your oil level. I know I drove about 9000 miles while I had leaking valve covers and cam caps. You just have to really watch your oil level and be mindful that it's leaking.

I would start making plans now to either do the work yourself or sourcing out someone capable of doing the work for you.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:17 PM
CCJ
1st Gear

Hey guys, thanks again for your responses. I got a repair manual, and am going to try this myself.

Is this the right part I need?

Evan-Fischer EVA32572033989 Valve Cover Gasket Includes 1 spark plug tube seal : Amazon.com : Automotive Evan-Fischer EVA32572033989 Valve Cover Gasket Includes 1 spark plug tube seal : Amazon.com : Automotive

thanks again!

Old 06-02-2013, 08:11 PM
2nd Gear

I believe that's the correct one.

You might want to have a look here, as you can get OEM for just a little more. I'm learning more and more that sometimes I'm better off going OEM than after market. Just my luck though. I've gotten some after market stuff in the past that has been of sub-par quality. And that doesn't mean I won't get some OEM stuff that's sub-par as well. Just a matter of time. Here's the OEM link:

2003 AUDI A4 QUATTRO Parts - Audi Parts

Also, look into doing the cam chain tensioner gasket and half moon piece as well below the tensioner.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:19 PM
CCJ
1st Gear

hey thanks man
I will look into that. I figured I will take baby steps and start with this see if it helps, then move up to the more challenging..
thanks again
CCJ

Old 06-11-2013, 11:39 PM
CCJ
1st Gear

back to the drawing board. I replaced the valve cover seals, inner and outer, and that has stopped the smoke coming out when I am idling, or parked. Also I have noticed the smell is gone.
However, now smoke comes out when I am driving, most especially when I have to accelerate quickly, like when getting on the inner state. This generally occurs when I have been driving it for about 10-20 minutes, and the car has warmed up.
Is it the turbo charger? Do I have to replace the whole thing? recommendations?
thanks guys!!