B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Stage I+ w/ apr exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 09:05 PM
1st Gear
Default Stage I+ w/ apr exhaust

So I recently just got stage I+. GIAC Fuel Injectors (380cc) with apr software. WHy mix?? because the people selling the injectors were willing to install them and the people selling the apr injectors(bosc i think) were not willing to. It runs pretty good, I soon bought the apr stealth cat-back exhaust system and upgraded the diviter valve to the 225hp TT diviter valve. I drive a 2005 Audi A4 1.8T by the way. (6 speed) So everything is cool, except I notice that my first gear doesn't pull as hard.. When I step on the pedal, I'm waiting for the turbo boost to kick in, but it doesn't seem to kick in. Sometimes it will kick in and it pulls real nice. Only the first gear, all the other gears pull really nice. Anyone have an idea why its like that? Do i need an air intake and an intercooler??

Old 06-23-2008, 12:15 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Stage I+ w/ apr exhaust

So you sure sometimes the Turbo doesnt kick in at around 3000rpms in first gear, but it works fine with any other gear???
You dont need an intake, unless you want your turbo to sound louder.
You dont really need an intercooler, but it is recommended, if u get a chance go ahead and get one.
First i thought u have a boost leak, but if this happens only in a first gear-thats pretty strange.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:47 PM
2nd Gear

keep in mind with any 1+ program, you spike boost so fast and it falls off so fast, there isnt much left in first gear..... by 4.5-5k, boost is falling off

i agree with protien on the intake, those things are waste of money unless u want CF looks with carbino or noise

but the intercooler i disagree strongly.. my racetec has made a huge difference in power and keeping it... when i got my 1+ flash, i did some logs with about 75 ambient temps... my IAT temps hit over 175 degrees and others have reported IATs as high as 200... with the racetec they stay within 5-10 of ambient temps

we just had a thread on audizine about it, one guy with a upgraded SMIC said it did good for the most part but it still felt sluggish after a few runs... ill post the link

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ghlight=apikol

Old 06-23-2008, 12:50 PM
2nd Gear

here is a PDF of the apikol as well,... it too shows only a 20 degree reduction in temps... barely worth it IMO... for $250 more, get the racetec and get your temps down to 5-10 of ambient... im going to build some plastic shrouds to direct more air through my racetec to see if it helps anymore..

https://www.apikol.com/whitepaper/Ap...ults%20S1+.pdf

Old 06-23-2008, 01:14 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Papachristou
but the intercooler i disagree strongly..
No no, i didnt say not to get one. I just said it is OK to be without one with 1+. But if goes bigger it is a Must

Old 06-23-2008, 01:44 PM
2nd Gear

tru tru.... but if you felt the difference going from 1+ to 1+FMIC... HUGE!!! and if you log and see how high your IATs get.. you NEED one... sure u can get by but you are wasting the money from the flash because as soon as you get heatsoaked, your power is gone...

Old 06-24-2008, 04:55 PM
1st Gear

thanks guys for replying. I think it might have to do with the heatsoak thing you mentioned. The past two days were cooler at night so I went for a drive and it kicked in pretty nice. I'm thinking about an intake and an intercooler. I know you guys said it's not necessary for what I'm running, but just to be complete. My stealth exhaust doesn't seem so stealth.. It's low grumble tone seems to oscilate at the same frequency that my head does because I get headaches from it. ha. Well, anyone know of an intercooler that fits without modding the bumper? I don't have the USP.. I wish.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:05 AM
2nd Gear

intake wont do anything for your car!!!!! except make more noise, get a new OEM filter... i am pretty fond of my racetec, it fit without any cutting or trimming of anything... it doesnt matter if u have a USP or not, u shouldnt have trouble with it

Old 06-25-2008, 11:21 AM
3rd Gear

An intake is for

1. People with money to spend on an Evo MS or Carbonio

2. DIY'rs willing to take 30 mins to instal a K&N cone filter.

Don't expect the 10-15 hp companies promise. More like -2 hp. But it does sound pretty freaking cool. The "stealth" exhaust you bought was a waste of money. You just paid for the name brand. Custom piping with Magnaflow mufflers are the way to go. Only about 450 installed by a good exhaust shop. I was beat to the heat/IC fact. in the warm summer months you're bound to notice a decline in HP if you got the stock IC. If you don't want to pay for a pre-built FMIC set up get an ebay IC for about $100 plus custom bent pipes. If you position the intercooler lower than you bumper support you should'nt have much trimming to do. You just gotta make sure you measure it precisely before you brace it or cut anything. If you were to dyno it you'll notice a simple FMIC upgrade does wonders on the 1.8t.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:28 PM
3rd Gear

If u decided to get an intake anyways, u can just go ahead and drop the cone filter in, BUT u will have to get a heatshield.

Quick Reply: Stage I+ w/ apr exhaust