B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Throttle Position Sensor problem???

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 06:30 AM
1st Gear

Pa4ul,
No, o I haven't checked for vacum leaks. Can you please give me a step by step on how to check for leaks. Starting at this point going to here, dot, here, dot, e.t.c. and so forth.

6 Months ago I knew nothing about cars much less about Audi's. I have never changed an oil a spark plug, or any thing else. Most I've done was add fluids gas, washer, oil, injector/gas treatment.

The work that was done was done through paying attention to detail on the AUDI FORUMS, and getting multiple views on EVERYTHING. And wow I cut cost 90% by DIY, homework and reading everything in the forums. Shoot it to me.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:40 AM
1st Gear
Question

Okay here's the skinny.(39 on the out side temp.) Cranks on first try, rough a lil, but smoothing fast.

After driving around this morning and letting the car come up to temperture. It was sitting right in the middle of the gauge just were it should be. Then here it comes. Car shutters then sputters, shakes like Elvis (young Elvis) idle starts going up and down, all over the place. Then I shut her off, then tried to start her back up. And no go. I scanned it and got PO122, PO222, and PO118. Throttle position sensor low voltage and coolant temp sensor circuit.

Humm . . . this summer I had the same problem. When car got hot during the summer months it didn't want to start. I didn't scan it then but the check engine light was on. It didn't stall or sputter out though. When I turned her off, she would take about 6 or 7 times to start sometimes needing to sit for about 15 mins. Then starting fine and running normal.

So I see a pattern. When it's cold outside she's very strong and responsive. However after she comes up to temperture is were there are problems.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:49 AM
1st Gear
Default it's possible

Now I have not checked for vacum leaks. I may have found the culprit. I 'm going to change out my G62 engine coolant temperature sensor (ECT).

http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/s....php?t=2383562

I will keep you posted.

Last edited by mranthonyharvey; 12-10-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Tech Certified

Sounds like a Mass Air Flow to me. Its the only engine related issue that can really turn on your traction control warning light and ESP. Not dirty. Faulty

Old 12-11-2010, 12:46 PM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by mranthonyharvey
Okay here's the skinny.(39 on the out side temp.) Cranks on first try, rough a lil, but smoothing fast.

After driving around this morning and letting the car come up to temperture. It was sitting right in the middle of the gauge just were it should be. Then here it comes. Car shutters then sputters, shakes like Elvis (young Elvis) idle starts going up and down, all over the place. Then I shut her off, then tried to start her back up. And no go. I scanned it and got PO122, PO222, and PO118. Throttle position sensor low voltage and coolant temp sensor circuit.

Humm . . . this summer I had the same problem. When car got hot during the summer months it didn't want to start. I didn't scan it then but the check engine light was on. It didn't stall or sputter out though. When I turned her off, she would take about 6 or 7 times to start sometimes needing to sit for about 15 mins. Then starting fine and running normal.

So I see a pattern. When it's cold outside she's very strong and responsive. However after she comes up to temperture is were there are problems.
Your issue is a little more advanced it seems, as your going to need someone capable of testing wiring circuits, Cause you may have an ECM problem

Old 12-20-2010, 08:50 AM
1st Gear
Default Throttle Position Sensor problem fix

Throttle body replaced. Talk about the purrrr.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:22 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by spit144
also...to get it to start i have to step on the gas pedal over and over. Occassionally the ABS and Traction control lights come on and the MPH needle doesn't move....my car is slowly dying!!! Anyone have any thoughts??? 86 people have looked at this and no replies at all except me...any help is appreciated.
Have the same problem with my Audi A4 B6 model. The car slowly shuts off right after the ESP and ABS light flash and I make a sharp turn. The fix is turn on hazards and restart the car. Then the sporadic lights disappear and car drives fine. Took it to my mechanic today, but no such luck with regard to diagnosis.

Any thoughts?

Old 04-25-2018, 06:28 PM
1st Gear
Default Re: Throttle position sensor

I too had a similar issue, with my 04 B 6. If you're cranking it and you don't see the tach moving I was told this indicates that the camshaft position sensor may be an issue. it can cause a hard start or it can cause the number of it can cause no crank or a crank no start I had to replace mine and the first one, I got was faulty end up having to hook real time data to find out that it was a faulty one. So I would recommend that you get to oem camshaft position sensor if you are gonna buy one This can be something this intermittent that you can you know it will crank and it'll start sometimes it'll just be hard to start I'm not necessarily sure that has anything to do with the throttle position sensor anyway. Um my car will start up and RPM's go up and then they come down and it'll go up and down before it settles in um. It's always been that way. I'm not sure if that's what you're describing or not hopefully this helps.
Originally Posted by spit144
also...to get it to start i have to step on the gas pedal over and over. Occassionally the ABS and Traction control lights come on and the MPH needle doesn't move....my car is slowly dying!!! Anyone have any thoughts??? 86 people have looked at this and no replies at all except me...any help is appreciated.

Old 04-04-2020, 10:30 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2012 Audi a six3.0 supercharged I'm having issues with throttlebodyI have a 2012 Audi a six3.0 supercharged I'm having issues with throttlebody valve control system code 6516 (PI54500) and 6536 (PI57900) please I need some help if anybody can explain this codes