AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B6 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b6-models-70/)
-   -   Throttle Position Sensor problem??? (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b6-models-70/throttle-position-sensor-problem-159005/)

spit144 10-26-2010 04:15 PM

Throttle Position Sensor problem???

Every once and awhile when i start my car the RPMs go up and down without me touching the throttle. Also sometimes my car won't start, to get it to start i have to step on the throttle a lot while turning over the engine. Wasn't sure if my TPS was going out or if anyone else has had this problem?

spit144 10-28-2010 02:29 PM

someone said it could be the crankshaft position sensor. Anyone know if that could cause this?

spit144 10-31-2010 03:38 AM

also...to get it to start i have to step on the gas pedal over and over. Occassionally the ABS and Traction control lights come on and the MPH needle doesn't move....my car is slowly dying!!! Anyone have any thoughts??? 86 people have looked at this and no replies at all except me...any help is appreciated.

pa4ul 11-01-2010 12:32 PM

do u have codes?

02A6Beau 11-01-2010 12:37 PM

^^^
+1

could be all sorts of things. best course of action is to pull codes so we can narrow your problem down from everything, to something a little more specific.

spit144 11-01-2010 05:17 PM

thats another problem, no one around here has a code reader that can plug into my car. Is there one I can buy that doesn't cost too much?

02A6Beau 11-01-2010 06:34 PM

do you have an autozone nearby? I think they are the ones that will do a free scan on your car. Their scanner wont give you specifics but if you write down the codes and bring them back here we may be able to decipher them for you. Pretty much any OBDII scanner should be able to give you the generic fault codes.

Indy shop should have a scan tool. Might charge you a couple bucks to scan your car but at least you will know.

or you can try vagtoolfinder.com, might be one near you, willing to hook you up with a scan.

you can get a cheap OBDII to usb cable off ebay then use the freeware version of the vagcom software VCDS lite. check ross-tech.com for more details.

mranthonyharvey 12-08-2010 04:28 PM

P0122, P0222??? New Sensor

I am having the same issue also. I have replaced the TPS with same OEM. Throwing codes PO1222, PO2222. I am stuck. Hard start, when it does start. Sometime (most of the time) it cranks and then shakes like Elvis, (younger Elvis):cool:. Sometimes it has a hard idle when it's running. Idle up and down all over the place. Then at time it's smooth like we like. She'll run for about 25-30 minutes then out comes the shakes.

I have done the throttle body adaption and it works to get the idle steady. How ever it goes to EPC light, ABS light, check engine light and then loses power. Sometimes at acceleration sometimes just babying the pedal. At times my Vag tells me 300 series which is random misfires on crazy idle shake land. Then once I turn her off and start her back up ALL codes are gone, until she shakes, rattles and rolls. :mad:

What has been done in the last month on 2003 1.8T Q 105K driven less than 100 miles since.

OEM fuel pump
OEM fuel filter
OEM fuel pump relay
OEM Bosch O2 sensors bank A and B
OEM Bosal Cat convert
OEM Purolator Air Filter
OEM Throttle Position Sensor
OEM Silver Star Battery
OEM Spark plugs
OEM Coil Pack ( new Hitachi revision)

Cleaned:
Injectors, throttle body, Inlet hose, Intake hose, MAF sensor, have plans to Seafom the manifold, and fuel line, then change oil and filter.

mranthonyharvey 12-09-2010 08:21 AM

Well here we go. 5:30 25 degrees the car starts with one turn. Runs a little rough but then smoothes out. I drive less than 10 miles return trip, everything seems normal. No DTC or CEL. Nice, but I need to have some one with Audi knowledge look under the hood.

In my area there is NO ONE that is competent enough that understands the rings. Furthermore it just sounds like a real, real bad idea.
Example: On first break down, had car towed to local shop for diagnosis. As I was waiting with full attention on "WTF just happened to my car?" I kept watching the garage mechanic trying to unlock the passenger side door, "WITH THE KEY" Hum . . . And when I asked him what he was doing, he said, "Did you know they forgot to put a door lock on that side of the car." I had to ask them to "please stop now" and tow it to my residents. I was sick for the rest of the day.

The car always shuts down before I can even think about getting her close to the highway to get her to the stealership for a check up. I am hoping that the codes will not return. yea Right!. I don't have a vag com I have a basic cheap-o from Advanced. Actron CP0125 OBD II Code Reader/PocketScan.

All the repairs were made by me done while using this forum,a lap top and make it happen. Major major savings. But I still need the details. The Audi tech details like what has to be done also like, ECU reprogramming? and maybe a chip for better performance? Please feel free to provide any feed back. All feed back is welcome. :

pa4ul 12-09-2010 01:28 PM

HAve your searched around for vaccume leaks>?