B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Trying to diagnose problem with driver power window

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 10:58 AM
1st Gear
Default Trying to diagnose problem with driver power window

I have an 04 A4 and recently replaced the main/master power window switch at the drivers seat due to the driver side window working itermittenly. Since replacing the main switch did not solve the drivers window problem I am trying to figure out what my next step should be. The window sometimes works but most of the time it does not. I think a logical assumption at this point (after changing the window switch) is that the power window motor on the drivers door is going bad. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts or suggestions so I can get my window to start working again

Old 05-11-2012, 12:30 PM
4th Gear

is the switch lit up when ur headlights are on? If so i would tend to think it might be the motor and no longer the switch as it is getting power. Do u hear any noise when u click the switch. Any sounds of binding or anything like that?

Old 05-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Tech Certified

Make sure the carpet is not wet under the drivers carpet. Motors dont go that often but it is possible.
Another thing to check is the wiring from the body to the door inside the rubber boot. They will break after years of opening & closing the door.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:27 PM
4th Gear

motors dont go out the often. I think ive lost 3 of my window motors in my car and so have countless others. Its a very common failure on audis. That and the window regulator. i would suspect its not the ccm as if that were broke it wouldnt be just one switch.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:56 PM
2nd Gear

Hey Paul, if the driver's window on my B6 Avant works just fine - with the exception that the "one touch" feature doesn't work when pushing the button down(but it works fine pulling it up) - is that a problem in the switch, the regulator or none of the above?

When I want to open that window, I frequently have to hold the button down. But when closing the window, the one touch feature works every time.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:39 AM
1st Gear

Hey Pa4ul, the light on my switch does light up when there is power. I believe I hear a "clicking" noise when I try to use the switch for my drivers window but it is not working. I am still leading towards the drivers side window motor going bad. I havent had a chance to look for moisture in the carpet yet but will do that soon. Thanks!

Old 05-15-2012, 01:05 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by jdahlen24
Hey Paul, if the driver's window on my B6 Avant works just fine - with the exception that the "one touch" feature doesn't work when pushing the button down(but it works fine pulling it up) - is that a problem in the switch, the regulator or none of the above?

When I want to open that window, I frequently have to hold the button down. But when closing the window, the one touch feature works every time.
Have u tried resetting the one touch feature. I think its roll down the window and once it hits bottom hold the button down for an extended 5 to 10 seconds then pull the switch up and once it hits top hold again for 5 to 10 seconds. That should reset the one touch. mine did that and i reset it and all was well again.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:12 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by fowler12
Hey Pa4ul, the light on my switch does light up when there is power. I believe I hear a "clicking" noise when I try to use the switch for my drivers window but it is not working. I am still leading towards the drivers side window motor going bad. I havent had a chance to look for moisture in the carpet yet but will do that soon. Thanks!
i would say its the motor. but had your window shown any signs of going up and down slowly. It also could be the regulator if u hear alot of binding inside the door. Heres the diy to get an idea of what you are looking at?
DIY: B6 A4 Window Regulator & Motor Replacement

Old 05-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Tech Certified

Motors are NOT a common failed component. I can't think of a situation where i have ever replaced one.

Regulators are... Master window switches are

But simple diagnosis..... remove your door panel and keep everything connected. unbolt the motor from the regulator and see then operate it. See if the motor turns

Old 05-16-2012, 09:53 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by pa4ul
Have u tried resetting the one touch feature?
Yep, and it still doesn't work. But, last night I tried pressing very hard on the button and it actually worked. So, I think that means I need a new switch. I'm going to try that first and go from there.

Thanks for the reply.

Quick Reply: Trying to diagnose problem with driver power window