B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Vacuum Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 11:30 AM
Default Vacuum Leak

2002 B6 A4 3.0 Q tip.

So I've been chasing a secondary air pump CEL for awhile now. Had the pump replaced whihc got me through my last inspection sticker, light came back on a month later, took it backa nd dealer said the pump is fine and they reset the light...but of course they didn't find and correct the problem. Light's been on for awhile now, same codes (low air volume secondary air pump banks 1 and 2). Finally got frustrated enough yesterday (and had a break int eh weather) and took all the covers off the motor and just started poking around...started it and could hear a very clear hiss of a vacuum leak. Digging in a bit firther I found at least 2 leaks...and if there are 2 there may be more as well. Wondering if anyone can help me identify what the highlighted sections are that are leaking and how to exploain what I need to buy from the parts shop. Do I need that weird braided hose that Audi uses or can I substitute standard vacuum lines? I assume that brainding is some sort of an insulator.

Pics enclosed. Closeups of each with the breaks circled and a wider shot fo the engine bay with the problem areas circled.

In the shot of the rear of the engine, the tip of the hose that comes out of the blue thing seems to have snapped off inside the blue thing, so I imagine I need to replace the whole setup there.

Put of curiosity, can anyone identify if either of these leaks may be tied to the operation of the secondary air system or am I chasing a third problem thats not right on top of the motor?

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Vacuum Leak-vacuum1.jpg   Vacuum Leak-vacuum2.jpg   Vacuum Leak-vacuum-3.jpg   Vacuum Leak-vacuum-4.jpg