B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Vapor/Steam coming from hood?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 08:27 PM
Default Vapor/Steam coming from hood?

Hi...

I have a weird phenomenon going on here with my car...I have some steam coming up from the front left side of the front grill after I'm driving for a little bit or if I push the engine with my aggressive driving. Sometimes, it smells like coolant, but sometimes not. My temperature never gets above the halfway point either. Another little thing...I've noticed that my windshield wiper fluid goes down fairly quick, so I must have a leak there...but that wouldn't be leaking and producing the steam near the front grill, would it?

Is there a hose that could be leaking up near the radiator that I should be looking for? Has anybody else had this problem? Again, it seems to be coming from the front left side of the grill area....in between the grill and the front-left headlight.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:01 PM
Default RE: Vapor/Steam coming from hood?

bump...Anybody know what's going on here?

Old 02-23-2008, 01:06 PM
1st Gear

There actually IS winshield washer fluid hoses that go directly through the drivers side front bumper. It could be it, it could not, just giving ideas. Try filling up the washer fluid all the way and cleaning your winshield and watch and see if it leaks from where you are talking about.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:55 PM
1st Gear

i have the sae problem with my car but it comes from the front right area. it only happens once in a while i still dont know what the problem is. iam just going to wait it out and see if it gets any worse because i dont know what the problem is and if i take it to the dealer there going to charge me up the *** just to look at my car.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:09 PM
1st Gear

I have had the same problem, 03 A4 but I figured if my coolant (never smelled any) level isnt lowering then im not losing any. Without taking the bumper off the only thing i could figure is there is a crappy connection with one of those factory crimp on hose clamps and water drips out from inertia when hitting bumps or slowing down fast, hits the radiator and makes steam. I never have used the windshield/headlight spray during the time i saw the steam.

just keep an eye on your coolant level.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:53 PM
1st Gear

i am having the same thing after getting my car chipped. I topped my coolant off when i got it chipped, and it has gone back to it normal level just below the full line. after a few days driving no more steam. I feel like i have a leak at the top of the systm somewhere andx when it is full i am blowing coolant out until it goes below the leak. I guess.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:50 PM
1st Gear

Hello,
If you can smell coolant, my guess is you have a tiny leak coming from your cooling system. Mine leaked very slowly several months ago. It definitely was coolant based on the fluid left on the ground. Lately it got worst to the point where I can hear the steam hissing and my coolant level extremely dropping to empty level on a daily basis. I took it to a shop and it turned out to be a cracked flange that's located in the back of the engine. Bout $300 for part & labor. Sucks I know.

I would look around the engine and see if there are any coolant residue. If this is evident, I'd get it checked right away..

Old 03-04-2008, 04:43 PM

I will take a look again for coolant residue anywhere today. I have in the past and haven't found a thing. It's really weird...I can't seem to figure it out. I let my windshield wiper fluid run all the way to low to see if that was it, but it's still steaming. Maybe it's covered under my extended warranty, so that would be nice. How long did it take to get it fixed?

Old 03-04-2008, 06:00 PM
1st Gear

Couple hrs labor. I wish I'd done it myself but it seems a little complicated for me. Here's some more info about my situation: https://www.audiforums.com/m_819834/tm.htm http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189137

Old 03-04-2008, 06:06 PM
1st Gear

check for coolant leaks for sure. could be a simple little replacement ofa hose,but also check the ground for blue washer fluid leaks by your headlights. you might need a new headlight washer pump. my windshield fluid was leaking by the passenger headlight on the complete opposited side of where you pour the fluid into. kinda weird. not expensive. I think the pump was like 80 bucks or something.

Quick Reply: Vapor/Steam coming from hood?