AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B6 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b6-models-70/)
-   -   Weird noise coming from drivers side dash on hard acceleration (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b6-models-70/weird-noise-coming-drivers-side-dash-hard-acceleration-195198/)

studiovette 05-06-2013 10:11 AM

Weird noise coming from drivers side dash on hard acceleration

Hi I have a 2004 1.8 with 78k on it. Recently as I accelerate away from a green light or on highway I hear like a loose marbles sound inside my dash. The car runs great no other performance issues but have no idea where to begin looking. Some threads mention a ticking noise from dash and it being related to a bad relay. I am looking to sell the car and want to fix this prior . I did change the fuel filter recently cause I was getting the humming noise and I think it started happening shortly after this.
Only happens while driving and as the transmission is revving between gears. Also not sure if related I have a check engine code P0411 which was present before this issue that I need some help with. Again I have not noticed any performance issues or drivability problems with either one.

Thanks

studiovette 05-07-2013 09:46 AM

Update

the clicking or loose marble soubd is only occurring over 3000 rpms. as soon as needle touches 3000 I start to hear it. sounds like its coming from the gauge area.

Any ideas?

studiovette 05-10-2013 09:42 AM

WoW nobody willing to offer some help?

I removed the gauge cluster and the sound is coming from the knee bolster area down below. Audi mechanic confirmed its a non mech issue. can it be a relay that increases in clicking as the rpms go above 3000?

scottmotron 06-12-2014 03:44 PM

Sorry to revive an old thread but did you ever figure this sound out? I'm having the same problem and it's driving me crazy. I would say it sounds like some popcorn kernels bouncing around in a hamster ball. Sound about right?

studiovette 06-13-2014 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by scottmotron (Post 1473667)
Sorry to revive an old thread but did you ever figure this sound out? I'm having the same problem and it's driving me crazy. I would say it sounds like some popcorn kernels bouncing around in a hamster ball. Sound about right?

No I never did , I just decided to sell the car much easier that way :D
I did have some emission codes that were showing at the time, might have been related. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

scottmotron 11-21-2014 08:19 PM

FYI I did eventually figure this out. I actually removed the whole center console (PITA), and eventually traced the sound down to the heater core. A stethoscope on the heater core confirmed it was coming from there. My mechanic was able to further confirm the heater core by revving the engine and clamping off the feeder hose to the heater, at which point the sound went away.

Long story short, I replaced the heater core myself (also a PITA thanks to those confounded heater core clamps). The culprit: a hex nut fluttering around at the heater core inlet. In retrospect, a carefully placed magnet might have done the trick! Oh well... I hope this helps someone somewhere.