B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Recommendation for brake pads and rotors?

Old 08-15-2012, 11:58 PM
1st Gear
Default Recommendation for brake pads and rotors?

I have an A4 Quattro 3.2L S-Line Cabriolet and need new pads and rotors all around. My brother is a mechanic and checked them out for me. I'm trying to pick replacement parts, but he's not really familiar with the specifics of Audi (he's a Cadillac mechanic).

Anyway, I'm looking at the Akebono ultra-premium ceramic pads seem to have decent reviews, but rotors are getting me a bit hung up. I saw someone said the Centric premium rotors are good. Are there any others that you'd recommend I check out? I'm not looking for anything slotted/cross drilled. I don't drive all that hard and drive a mix of city and highway. I want to keep up the stopping power and quietness, but reduce the brake dust. At the same time, I want to keep the prices down. Is this a good bet? The total price is coming out to about $400 on Amazon.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:19 PM
1st Gear

Check out Adam's Rotors. You won't be disappointed. I just installed mine. Awesome stuff. He's a big name in the Audi community, and have yet to see a bad review. Uses OEM rotors. Also, I think the Akebono's you really want are the Euro Ceramics. I'm not sure what the ultra ones are. I went with Euro ceramics, as most people around here. They are very low dust, and.. well ceramic. Doesn't get much better than that.
Also check out ECStuning, they have a very good selection, both pads and rotors.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:36 PM
2nd Gear

I got these from Place For Brakes: Akebono Euro Ultra Premium Ceramic Brake Pads | Place for Brakes

I've been happy with them. Maybe slightly reduced stopping power, but there is no brake dust.

I went with some Meyle rotors from ECSTuning: Home Page > Search > 8E0615301AD > ES#2500639 Front Brake Rotors - Pair (321x30) - 8E0615301AD

Again, I've been happy with them. I think ECSTuning now sells a bunch of kits that may save you a few bucks--just depends on what you're looking for. I have to replace my rears soon and I may just get a kit--we'll see what prices look like when the time comes.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:09 PM
1st Gear

Yeap, those are the right pads. I just received mine in the mail today. Will install rotors and pads in the front this weekend. I already did the rears last weekend. Went with hawk for the rear, then I changed my mind on the brand and got akebonos for the front. Can't go wrong with either from what I've read, but I guess I'll be able to tell the difference once the fronts are on. Place for brakes does have the best price though. Good luck with that lower bolt for the carrier for the rears. Such a PITA

Old 08-17-2012, 08:28 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by megailko
Check out Adam's Rotors. You won't be disappointed. I just installed mine. Awesome stuff. He's a big name in the Audi community, and have yet to see a bad review. Uses OEM rotors. Also, I think the Akebono's you really want are the Euro Ceramics. I'm not sure what the ultra ones are. I went with Euro ceramics, as most people around here. They are very low dust, and.. well ceramic. Doesn't get much better than that.
Also check out ECStuning, they have a very good selection, both pads and rotors.

yeah, i'm not sure why i didn't just put down the full name, but it was the Euro Ceramics. Akebono EUR1111 EURO Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pad Set for the front and Akebono EUR1348 EURO Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pad Set for the rear. I ordered them yesterday off of Amazon after finding out more info on other forums. They actually came out slightly cheaper from Amazon than placeforbrakes.com.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:07 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, all those unnecessary adjectives in the name just confuse everyone. I guess I remembered a couple, you remembered different ones. Either way, we got the same stuff. Ultra-giga-hyper-mega-euro-premium whatever. They're just freakin' pads.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:49 AM
1st Gear

Got all of the parts in, the Akebono EURO Ultra-Premium ceramic brake pads and the Centric premium rotors. My brother helped me put the front pads and rotors on today. Afterwards, there was more pedal travel than before. Looks like I'll be checking over in the DIY forum next.

He's thinking that the next step is to bleed the brakes, but it was pretty late and dark by the time we were done. So, he'll be heading over tomorrow to try that.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:37 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by trouphaz
Got all of the parts in, the Akebono EURO Ultra-Premium ceramic brake pads and the Centric premium rotors. My brother helped me put the front pads and rotors on today. Afterwards, there was more pedal travel than before. Looks like I'll be checking over in the DIY forum next.

He's thinking that the next step is to bleed the brakes, but it was pretty late and dark by the time we were done. So, he'll be heading over tomorrow to try that.
Maybe, but if you didn't disconnect the brake lines, there shouldn't be any air in the system. I've changed pads/rotors without bleeding the brakes before.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:47 PM
1st Gear

I didn't bleed mine either. Just changed them last weekend. My pedal felt like it had more travel too, but after driving for a bit it came back to almost the same as before. I say almost, because the Akebono pads have a softer initial bite anyway, so it won't feel the same as before, but it does get better with driving. I am thinking of bleeding the brakes though. Anyone want to post a good DYI link for that?

P.S. Check your fluid level. When I compressed my pistons for the front brakes a lot spilled out off the top of the tank (the rag I had on there soaked it up of course), but when I was all done the level was within limits, without having to top it off. So the stuff that spilled was the same as the difference in pad and rotor thickness between old and new.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:30 PM
1st Gear

So, I just got back from a little vacation with my family. During that time, my brother took my car and did the rears and bled the brakes. It feels a little better than before, so I'll see if it gets better over time. I'm thinking that it may just be a different feel with the Akebonos vs the OEM ones.

As far as the fluid goes, we did have some spill out, but we topped it off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recommendation for brake pads and rotors?