B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Audi A4 - P0243 - P0033 - P0444

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 03:49 AM
1st Gear
Default Getting the same codes intermittently. Ivan, did replacing

the J757 relay resolve your problem?

Old 08-02-2015, 08:51 PM
1st Gear

Yes it did. I no longer own the Audi, but it did resolve those codes. I think the key is to determine if they come on at zero speed just when the car is started. A vag-com should be able to tell you that.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:59 PM
1st Gear

Hello,

I currently own an '07 A4 as well, and believe it or not have been having almost identical issues. The issue was extremely intermittent for a few years but a couple days ago it seems that it's finally reached it's limit and the errors don't go away upon restarting the car after driving down the street. A year or two ago I took to Boardwalk Audi (I think it's Plano Audi now) and they replaced the coil packs saying that was the issue. I didn't get any problems for a few months but sure enough the problem did come back.

What I would like to know is if getting to the J757 relay involves removing anything, since you stated that you needed a wiper removal tool.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:10 AM
1st Gear

SuperSixFour,
I have been looking into this issue myself. The J757 relay seems to be located in a pit that is beneath the ECM. It does seem that the wiper arm has to be removed and probably the ECM. The ECM has special clamps that will need to be replaced if it is removed. It all seems to be a little bit more than I am ready to do.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:33 PM
1st Gear

The best I can remember is that the wiper has to removed so that the cowl can be lifted up. I do know it was rather a pain to get the ECM cover off and back on, but it can be done without completely removing the cowl...and some patience. I think I used a flexible Phillips or Torx to reach the back screws on the ECM. I don't remember anything about any special clamps other than what may be on the ECM itself. The actual ECM box does not have to be taken apart. The relays are below it to the side in the ECM pit.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:06 PM
1st Gear

Thank you for the info, I appreciate it. I wanted to check the relay, however it seems that it will require more tools than I currently have at my disposal.

My ECP light went off and I was back to running at full power, however the CEL light is still on. I'm going to go by AZ to get the codes with just the CEL on, and compare those to the codes I got with the CEL on and the EPC light on and hopefully I can get closer to figuring out what is wrong. I'll post back in a few with more info.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:19 PM
1st Gear

Nevermind, went to turn the car on to drive over to AZ and EPC light came back on, running at half power (seems that the wastegate on the turbo stays open). Anyways, usually when the CEL+EPC lights are on, the car has a hard time starting. It needs to turn over a few times before actually turning on, sometimes I need to gas it as well to kind of get it running. Was this similar to the problem you experienced?

Old 09-04-2015, 12:00 PM
1st Gear

Your symptoms are really very similar to mine. I get the EPC light and sometimes the CEL when I try to start and the car has a hard time starting. Once the car is running, if I restart after a few minutes the EPC light goes away. The CEL sometimes will take a day or two to go away. Once the EPC light goes away the car runs fine.

A few days ago it was hard starting it. I did need to give it gas, but neither the EPC or CEL came on that time.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:44 PM
1st Gear

Ordered the relay from Audi Arlington. I'm going to give it a shot. As far as getting to the relay, I see what you mean about having to remove the wiper arm to get the cowl to lift up. Once inside the box, which of the two relays did you remove? From what I gathered the J757 relay and the J271 relay both have the same 614 number on top, so how will I know which one is the J757 relay? If there is any other advice you have for me since I will be doing the same thing you did, I would appreciate it! Other than that, I will post back with results after replacing the relay. Hopefully it will fix the problem!

Last edited by SuperSixFour; 09-06-2015 at 11:46 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:35 AM
1st Gear

My gut tells me it was the one on the right. I have deleted my ECM document, but you may be able to find it on the web somewhere. It had the pictures. I do remember that relay was really in there. Had to be a little patient in getting it out. Besides the code symptoms, if the car started on the first or second turn, I got no codes, but if it took 3 or 4, then the codes cam up. I think the issue is timing. If that relay does not come on at the right time or maybe just a little slow then the sensors do not get power and that is what trips the codes. I finally had to get rid of the A4. It was my wifes and I just could not trust it anymore. It ran through coil packs like hot cakes. Always kept a spare in the trunk. The final straw was when it started missing again and found that it was a burnt valve. That set me back about $3k. Driveabilty was great, but the reliability and trust factor just went down the drain. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Audi A4 - P0243 - P0033 - P0444