AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B7 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b7-models-71/)
-   -   Audi tech , reason for oil usage (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b7-models-71/audi-tech-reason-oil-usage-155136/)

jagtoes 08-17-2010 09:06 AM

Audi tech , reason for oil usage

Having worked on some old turbo volvo's I have not had any oil usage issue as I see on discussions on this board. As I mentioned my daughter bought a 07 A4 with 27K on it. My question is what is the cause of the oil usage. Is it the boost pressures pushing the oil through the rings into the crankcase that is the cause? I just find it interesting that the German mfg. would find this acceptable. Also Is the design of the PCV system a contributor to part of the problem along with the diverter valve? Just trying to get a better understanding of the reason. Your thoughts please as I'm just trying to get the basics on this car. Thanks

esandes 08-17-2010 10:20 AM

the whole oil consumption thing is just another example of internet BS. i have no issues and i exclusively use 0W-40...a very thin oil. i also had no PCV issues either.

makav3li 08-17-2010 11:35 AM

its not internet bs there esandes, I have to add a quart every 4-5k miles and in all reality, I'm not sure why it burns that much oil. I have just accepted it and am not too worried about it.

Audi Dan 08-17-2010 02:52 PM

Take it from an old fart, oil consumption of one quart in 4,000 miles is VERY MINOR! The 2.0T engine seems to be using it through the valve guides, at a very minor rate. Back in the day (late 60's), we had to change oil every 2 to 3 thousand miles, and acceptable oil consumption was a quart every 1,000 miles. We called it "upper end lubrication" and lived with it. We would actually accept slight white smoke on start up as evidence of minor guide weepage, and look at it as a good thing.My A4 2.0T uses about a quart or less in 7,500 miles, which I think is just dandy. That's about a penny a mile for some extra protection of the upper rings and cylinders. Like I said, I'm an old fart and think the oil useage is a non-issue.

jagtoes 08-17-2010 09:49 PM

As another old motor head I remember the early days and still live with using a quart every 1000 miles on my old Ferrari. The reason behind it is ring tolerance for a high rev (8000rpm) motor of it's time (1977). Any cars I have had later then 1990 use 0 oil in between 5000 oil changes. Talking to my Daughter she had to add a quart after her 1st 3000 miles. The car has 30000 miles on it. We are using Castrol 5-40 syntech. The car does not smoke but based on talking to the VW tech's it seems the 2.0L has normal consumption of a quart in 3-5K miles. It's a new job for my daughter to check the oil but she'll have to get used to it. She traded in her 2003 Toyota with 120,000 miles and never added oil between 5000 changes. She loves the car so she'll need to live with it. Thanks

dmfan016 08-17-2010 10:07 PM

it has to do with the fsi engine, if you look at the bsh catch can set up you can see that it picks up alot of oil quickly, and with the engine the way it is the added oil gets either burnt onto your valves (hence carbon build-up) or burnt in the engine

normally gasoline and the additives that various gas stations add to their gas normally cleans the valves and there is no carbon build up, however, with our engines the gas never has a chance to clean the valves because it is diretcly injected into combustion chamber

add that with the high temperature that the turbo builds its not hard to see that a quart every 1,000 miles is not somehting to worry about

from what i have heard later models 07-08 models carry a different pcv valve as well as a different upgraded dv and does not share this problem

if you ask an audi tech they will tell you that an 06 b7 and a 08 b7 are almost different cars when it comes to coil packs, fuel pumps (upgraded again) DV, PCV valve and 08's seem to not carry as much issue with a cam follower as other cars

dmfan016 08-17-2010 10:08 PM

it has to do with the fsi engine, if you look at the bsh catch can set up you can see that it picks up alot of oil quickly, and with the engine the way it is the added oil gets either burnt onto your valves (hence carbon build-up) or burnt in the engine

normally gasoline and the additives that various gas stations add to their gas normally cleans the valves and there is no carbon build up, however, with our engines the gas never has a chance to clean the valves because it is diretcly injected into combustion chamber

add that with the high temperature that the turbo builds its not hard to see that a quart every 1,000 miles is not somehting to worry about

from what i have heard later models 07-08 models carry a different pcv valve as well as a different upgraded dv and does not share this problem

if you ask an audi tech they will tell you that an 06 b7 and a 08 b7 are almost different cars when it comes to coil packs, fuel pumps (upgraded again) DV, PCV valve and 08's seem to not carry as much issue with a cam follower as other cars

Audi Tek 08-18-2010 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by dmfan016 (Post 1232078)

Actually simply put....

FSI = Carbon problems, all motors
Turbo = Oil Consumption problems... usually has to do with breathers. there are also baffles in the valve cover that are plastic and tend to seperate allowing oil to flow into the breather system
Diverter Valves = have shitty rubber diaphrams that tear too easily. They were never really an issue. They did go bad but it was never epidemic. Usually as soon the ecm is flashed or chipped.
Coils = are the same from 2005 to 2008... different part numbers maybe... No significant change because they all suck. We changing them all the way to 2007 i believe on all engines. I think i've done 2008 too, but not sure

1k per 1 quart is Audi standards on acceptable oil consumption

jagtoes 08-18-2010 09:51 PM

Thanks Audi tek

esandes 08-20-2010 12:53 PM

the very few people with problems blog here. and the reason for the failure is often because of the user (ie. busted DV because of higher boost from aftermarket chip). the happy consumers don't chime in and blog that everything is ok. so it's misleading to state all cars have these problems.

keep it in perspective.