AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B7 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b7-models-71/)
-   -   Battery/Electical Issues (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b7-models-71/battery-electical-issues-230001/)

ademonc 03-12-2019 05:44 PM

Battery/Electical Issues

Hey guys I am having the weirdest issue.

I recently replaced my fuel pump and filter on my 2008 a4 with 110k miles. The car had been sitting around as I waited for parts but when they arrived the battery was completely dead. I thought nothing of it the car had been sitting, I continued with my repair.

when I finished I got a neighbor to jumpstart the car and after a few minutes of priming the fuel lines, the car started right up. I disconnected the cables and all was wood I left the car running as I picked up my tools. The car ran for about 5 minutes and then shut off. I got another jump, car started but didn't last as long. I pulled out the battery and stuck it on the charger it was at 5.3v I charged it overnight and its at 12.5 volts it wont go any higher. after doing research on optima batteries a fully charged one should be 2.7v - 2.8v and at 2.5v the battery is low. My charger says its 80%. but it will not charge beyond that.

I stick it in the car, It clicks but doesn't turn. I get a jump the car starts. so I get my volt meter and the battery measures 12.3v when I turn the key it dips to 10v all the dash lights and everything starts to flicker.

So I am a little confused, I feel like I have a bad battery. If so fine ill buy one. But if it isn't the battery I can't return it.

I am a little lost at this point and im not really sure where to go from here...

has anyone experienced anything similar? Maybe some tips. The car ran fine before all of this aside from the pump giving me issues and due to the age, it was time to change it anyway.

edit: ODBII scanner shows nothing either

kjopen 03-12-2019 06:54 PM

Do you have a spare battery or can you borrow one? You can then see if its the car or the battery.....

ademonc 03-12-2019 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by kjopen (Post 1522373)
Do you have a spare battery or can you borrow one? You can then see if its the car or the battery.....

Hi, thank you for the reply I actually just tried this had a friend come over. The engine cranks but it doesn't start. I can hear the fuel pump turn on... Still no errors when i use the scanner.

kjopen 03-13-2019 10:50 AM

So if it's not the battery I'd go for the fuel considering you've just changed the fuel pump and filter - look there. No offense meant but, is the filter the right way round? (that's often easy to do... ) Is the pump running well or noisy? (could you have disturbed something in the line that is blocking flow?

ademonc 03-13-2019 12:30 PM

When I first did the change, after a few minutes of priming the line the car turned on. it ran for about 5 minutes and then it shut off. I was able to get it started again but it ran for maybe a minute before it shut off. I have not been able to get it to turn on since. I don't see a valve anywhere to check fuel pressure so I'm not really sure where to go from here.

The pump sounds like it should it's not loud or anything but you can hear it kick on if you listen for it. The old one started to get pretty loud towards the end of its life.

The filter is the right way around. (No offense taken) But it only fits in one way in this car. pretty hard to screw up.

Edit: also since this isnt an electrical issue can some one change the title?

ademonc 03-13-2019 01:36 PM

Update: Went to the AutoZone and got a can of starter fluid, Sprayed the intake and boom started right up and died shortly after. I believe the new pump I got may be bad. It is getting gas as I can tap the peddle and it revs but it shortly give out I'm thinking it doesn't have enough pressure.

kjopen 03-14-2019 10:57 AM

Good work with the starter fluid. So guess you need to check the fuel pressure in the line, found this for you on a sticky:-

First, please take all precautions when handling your fuel lines as defined below....fuel under pressure and one spark are not what you want together!

Quote:

3. No start concerns. (cranking but no start) These generally don't have fault codes but that is the first thing you should check with your vag com or code reader. If you find a fault code for the engine crank sensor replace it. If you have a yellow flashing light in the cluster you have an immobilizer problem and the dealer has to fix this for you. If there are no fault codes open the hood and locate the fuel supply line. There is a 14 and 17mm nut next to each other, take the line loose and put the fuel line in an empty plastic water bottle. Turn the key to the on position. If no fuel goes into the bottle, check power at the fuel pump. If power at the pump is present with the key on replace the fuel pump. If no power is present, replace the fuel pump relay under the dash board.

Taytayandand 04-11-2019 11:04 PM

How much gas do you have? Any chance it could be old? I would chexknpressure like said above.