B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

2007 a4

Old 04-21-2015, 08:50 AM
1st Gear
Default 2007 a4

All,
I have a few questions/concerns with my wife's A4 2.0T (63,xxx miles), It all started on sunday when my wife started her car to leave in the afternoon and it started smoking but soon stopped then it was blowing wads of black/blue smoke at wide open throttle on monday when i drove it to work (she was scared to drive it). However, It has no CEL and she seems to think the power is still all there. I researched that it could be PCV valve (which the dealership said was changed) or valve cover gasket (some oil leak on the turbo side of the valve cover) or exhaust valves. Also, it seems to be using some coolant.... Thanks again for the help (being my first post and all)

Last edited by youknowit; 04-21-2015 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:40 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by youknowit
All,
I have a few questions/concerns with my wife's A4 2.0T (63,xxx miles), It all started on sunday when my wife started her car to leave in the afternoon and it started smoking but soon stopped then it was blowing wads of black/blue smoke at wide open throttle on monday when i drove it to work (she was scared to drive it). However, It has no CEL and she seems to think the power is still all there. I researched that it could be PCV valve (which the dealership said was changed) or valve cover gasket (some oil leak on the turbo side of the valve cover) or exhaust valves. Also, it seems to be using some coolant.... Thanks again for the help (being my first post and all)
Was the car stuttering when she started it, like it was misfiring?

Some black smoke upon very hard acceleration (WOT) is normal. It's built up carbon being blown out of your engine...or as I say, cleaning the engine. The blue smoke would indicate some oil being burnt which some of these cars do, some don't and some don't as much. If there isn't a CEL and it's running fine with power still, you're golden.

The coolant usage, there is a coolant flange on the back of the motor that is notorious for leaking. There should be some information on here regarding that coolant flange with a search. From what I hear, it's a pain in the *** to replace.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:20 PM
1st Gear

From i could tell it was running good...No misfires (plugs and coils were changed roughly 1-1.5yrs ago) I just found it odd that all of sudden shes smoking. Ill let it ride for a week or so see if it is just build up. Thanks again for the help.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:53 PM
1st Gear

Another possibility for smoking is the O2 sensor may have had a spell upon startup without throwing the CEL.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:17 AM
1st Gear

Well, The wife was out of town so i drove her car, I got on it and it started smoking like a crazy and the check engine light was on and flashing, it was also misfiring. What could this be! She only drives it a few miles a day and never over 2.5k RPM (She doesnt ever have problems with it driving it like that) so maybe I was just cleaning it out. Just seems weird.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:50 PM
2nd Gear

Well, The wife was out of town so i drove her car, I got on it and it started smoking like a crazy and the check engine light was on and flashing, it was also misfiring. What could this be! She only drives it a few miles a day and never over 2.5k RPM (She doesnt ever have problems with it driving it like that) so maybe I was just cleaning it out. Just seems weird.
Now that you've got an MIL, read the codes. Need more info.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:01 AM
1st Gear

The MIL only stayed on for a few seconds, Once i got off the gas and started driving normal the lights went away. I have a feeling the lights were on because it was misfiring. Strange indeed.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:32 AM
2nd Gear

The MIL only stayed on for a few seconds, Once i got off the gas and started driving normal the lights went away. I have a feeling the lights were on because it was misfiring. Strange indeed.
If it came on, you should have a stored code. You're not likely to be able to solve this without that. If you have access to a VAGCOM, that would be even better--you'll get clearer diagnostic info. It was probably a misfire, but why is the question. You could always take it to the stealership and pay them the diagnostic labor charge to find out what it is. I've done that when the problem was trickier than I knew how to find.