AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B7 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b7-models-71/)
-   -   Engine Fault Code P2293 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b7-models-71/engine-fault-code-p2293-163216/)

JoeAudiA4 01-17-2011 05:04 PM

Engine Fault Code P2293

Hello All,

This is my first "real" post on the boards -- I am hoping you all can help me with my specific problem as all the help I have been reading about in other posts. This forum is AWESOME for information and I have learned so much about my car reading these forums! (And I have done the appropriate Diverter Valve fix, and will be doing the Cam Follower fix at some point here shortly.) So thank you all!

There is a problem I am having when really gunning the car at highway speeds. Oftentimes, when I really mash the pedal, the RPM will max at about 4k RPM and won't go any higher. It seems as if there is a lack of fuel getting to the engine and it just wont rev higher. If I let off the pedal and slowly accelerate, it doesn't happen. It doesn't always happen, only on occasion. This is very intermittant and the dealership keeps claiming nothing is wrong (obviously not).

Further information: I have a KIWI WiFi ODBII reader connected to my iPhone REV2 Program. When the issue above happens, I get a P2293 (Fuel Pressure Regulator 2) error on the screen, but it doesn't turn on the CEL (which is why the dealership is being difficult about the problem). The Error code is stored, and they can see it on their VAG program, but without the CEL they are saying it is just "fine".

Has anyone had a problem similar to this and know what might be causing it? Anything else I can tell the dealership to do to make them want to fix it?

NOTES:
I have 58K miles on the car. It is an 06 2.0T. I am still under the pre-owned warrenty (which is my guess on why the dealership doesn't want to deal with it).

Thanks,
~Joe

02A6Beau 01-17-2011 05:43 PM

well, the P2293 is for lack of fuel getting to the engine so....

I guess the real question is "why?"

Could be that your ECU won't allow more fuel to the engine based on the conditions when you "mash" the pedal.

I suspect the dealership doesn't want to "deal with" the problem because it is a minor (though valid and frustrating) issue and one of those things that you can go crazy trying to chase down.

I think in your case you should try some injector cleaner and make sure you air filter/intake is good and clear/clean and see if there is any improvement.

keep us updated

*not an expert, just an enthusiast

JoeAudiA4 01-17-2011 06:11 PM

Thanks for the information. I'll try some injector cleaner and see if it helps. I doubt its the air filter/intake. I just had it in a couple weeks back for the 55k service. They (claimed) to have replaced the filters.

My suspicion was the same about lack of fuel (just by how it reacts and feels). I was wondering if it has something to do with the High pressure fuel pump getting clogged or dirty? Would this same issue be happening if the Cam Follower was giving out?

aetius 01-18-2011 02:13 AM

Not sure if this applies but when I open my car up on the Autobahn (every now and then) and hit its max governed speed of 130mph or 210kmh my tach is only around 4000rpms. Maybe the governor is keeping your rpms (fuel) down? I also drove a German A4 2.0T (same as mine just German specs's) and it would hit around 6000 rpms at 250kmh+. Of course the German models do not have the speed limiter active (like our N-American ones.)

Regardless, hope your issue gets fixed!

JoeAudiA4 01-18-2011 11:00 AM

Well, here is a follow up to the thread...

After posting on the forum yesterday I decided to take it in again and just pony up and pay for them to look at the car as I KNEW something was going wrong and I didn't want the car to shit out on me as I am taking a road trip next week. At the dealership (for the third time on this request), I once again explained the situation to the service adviser and said, please take a look at the engine, I know there is something wrong with it, it just doesn't feel right. I agreed to pay for the diagnosis if nothing wrong was found.

Long story short, I got a call from them late yesterday. The diagnosis was the following:
1. The cam follower was completely shredded and we are surprised your car was still running.
2. The cam follower severely damaged the cam lobes and they need to be replaced.
3. The cam follower severely damaged the HPFP and needs to be replaced.
4. The [something] (cam shaft maybe she said?) needs to be completely taken apart and cleaned out.
In all, the repair cost was going to be over $3000 in labor and parts!!!! Fortunately, they are going to cover it under my CPO.

Just another instance of the $50 cam follower causing serious damage if not taken seriously.

There are two things I am going to take away from this thread:
1. Thank goodness I didn't try to replace the cam follower myself on Saturday (if I had, I would have gotten in there and seen the crazy messed up cam follower and been hosed on my CPO.)
2. Don't trust the dealerships when you think something is wrong with the car. Persist, persist, persist!

~Joe

oki 07-01-2011 06:20 PM

Joe.

Thank you so much for this thread...I have been chasing the same issue and finally was able to get the car to throw the code today with the CEL to come on.

Also, really glad that AUDI sent me the extended warranty notice for my car up to 100,000 miles (I only have 66,000)...so I am going to take it in to the dealer an tell them to fix the known issue.

Chavarria16 11-13-2015 05:54 AM

Hello everybody.
I couple a weeks ago i scanned my audi 2.0T 2006 engineB7, and i got this code P2293, i did read in this same forum that this problem was in te HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) and a cam follower that comes with it. And indeed this whole part was messed up...I changed the whole pump for a new one, also the sensors but the problem persist...i did reset the computer and everything but everytime that a press the pedal and goes up to 4k revs the code comes up into the scanner and automatically the car lose power....any help??

KingWulfgar 11-13-2015 08:02 AM

When the cam follower fails, the cam lobe is usually worn and the entire cam needs to be replaced as well. Did you inspect/replace that too? It could be residual from not doing that.

chapstick 11-13-2015 11:54 AM

You need to call up Audi or several Audi dealerships and find out if you're still in the camfollower warranty. You need to at least change the intake cam and get that metal out if the housing if not through out the motor. Good luck

Timmy1988 02-21-2018 09:41 AM

Same code

Originally Posted by chapstick (Post 1498212)
You need to call up Audi or several Audi dealerships and find out if you're still in the camfollower warranty. You need to at least change the intake cam and get that metal out if the housing if not through out the motor. Good luck

I'm getting the same code and have already replaced both pumps along with the cam and follower. I was wondering could it throw this code and limp mode bc the fuel pressure control module as well ? Also if it helps my fuel gauge is reading way off with levels in tank and the car will idle and run perfect, but still in limp mode. The only time it idles or sounds like it's mis firing bad is when I delete Codes