B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

First Time Audi Buyer Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 12:22 AM
1st Gear
Default First Time Audi Buyer Questions

Hey guys, looking to get into my first Audi. Been looking at either a BMW 3 series, Audi A4 quattro, or an Acura TL. Honestly, the BMW's are out of the question due to the ridiculous maintenance costs for any repairs. My main questions are simple. What are some things I need to look out for when buying an Audi and also are the maintenance and cost of ownership prices as high as a BMW. The Acura to me is a very dependable car, I mean lets face it, honda makes the most reliable vehicles on the road. So what am I looking at in regards to an audi along these same lines. I posted a link to one that I particularly like and may be going to look at and test drive tomorrow. Thanks!

Cars for Sale: 2008 Audi A4 2.0T quattro Sedan in Raleigh, NC 27616: Sedan Details - 363067473 - AutoTrader.com

Old 02-11-2014, 07:27 PM
1st Gear

Audis are just as much typically as bmw. That audi you linked has low mileage, if you do the scheduled maintenance it should last. Im in cold weather area so I like leaning towards the awd.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:03 AM
Senior Administrator

Audi interiors, IMHO, outshine BMWs; even Mercedes. If your primary concern is long-term cost of ownership, Audi & BMW are about on par with each other. If you live anywhere where winter happens more that 2-3 month/year, Audi wins, hands down. Other than that, I'd have to say the Acura, based on maintenance costs. If you never see snow, except during an end-of-days event, BMW takes the cake. Unless interior comfort ranks high on your please-myself-O-meter, in which case we're back to Audi.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:33 AM
1st Gear
Default Headlight Question A8

I have a 2004 A8. I'm trying to understand the headlight configuration. It seems like there are two headlamps on each side, but the controls for high and low beam only control the "outer" lamp. What is the inner lamp for and how is it controlled?

Old 02-12-2014, 12:09 PM
1st Gear

to the OP: i think everyone here is gonna recommend the audi
but really, i preferred the audi interior over the bmw when i was shopping around. i think the audi has a simple 'refined' luxury. everyone that gets in my car is impressed because its just awesome and not snobby feeling. my maintenance costs have been relatively low because i do my own oil changes and shop around for good cheap tires even thou they arent the factory pirellis. i havent needed any major repairs, except a throttle body cleaning last winter due to ice inside it but that was covered.

to the threadjacker: the inner bulb should be the low beam lights and the outer should be the high beam, or vice versa, but either way audi uses separate bulbs so you have four instead of just two

Old 02-12-2014, 03:21 PM
2nd Gear

I greatly prefer the look and comfort of the Audi over the BMW 3-series and the Acura. The Acura interior just felt too "Honda" to me and my boss has had several BMWs over the years none of which has greatly impressed me.

Get the quattro even if you don't live in a winter area. The handling is night-and-day different and you won't get a CVT transmission (the automatic in all FWD models). I drove both and the quattro just feels better. In the rare few ice/snow events we've had in Atlanta recently, it's saved my butt a few times!

Old 02-13-2014, 10:17 AM
2nd Gear

Have to agree with the others. I bought my Audi not only for it's look on the outside, but for the inside. I also have experienced very little cost in ownership in the 3 years I have had mine now. Biggest expense was the timing belt, but I knew about that before hand so it wasn't a shock.

On the threadjacker light question are you asking about the "city lights"? Small little bulbs on the inside of the housing? It is a european thing they do. Provides a little light while the parking lights are turned on. What for I am unsure. I think of them as daytime driving lights.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:06 AM
1st Gear

Oh yea I forgot about the city lights. I think they also serve as a backup so if you low beam burns out, you don't look like a motorcycle to other drivers.