AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B7 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b7-models-71/)
-   -   Is Regular Gas OK for A4 2.0T? (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b7-models-71/regular-gas-ok-a4-2-0t-98019/)

AceL 04-09-2008 08:25 AM

Is Regular Gas OK for A4 2.0T?

I have been putting premium gas (93 Octane) in my 2007 A4 2.0T Quattro. But I was told by the Audi salesman that there is no problem in putting regular gas (87 Octane) as the system senses that and adjusts accordingly. The trade-off would be in performance. So I tried the regular gas with half a tank and I did not notice any degradation in performance. Before I try the full tank with regular gas, I wanted to get your opinion regarding this. Are there people who have been using regular gas on their A4s? And if so, what are their impressions with regard to performance and fuel mileage?

Blackpaw 04-09-2008 09:07 AM

RE: Is Regular Gas OK for A4 2.0T?

I just got my 2006 A4 2.0T Quattro, a pre-owner certified I got a killer deal on. The salesman, like yours said, it is "okay" to put in the cheaper gas, but he said it is more mileage that would suffer. I had a Toyota pickup that would develop knocks with cheap gas and when I put in 91 octane it went away, but the cheaper stuff is tempting at paying $3.91/gal for gas here in the Bay of San Fran.

turbo kraut 04-09-2008 10:14 AM

not only are you going to loose power(performance) you will loose gas mileage.... if you feel the need to use "cheap" gas, trade in your car that requires good gas and get a "cheap" car to put that cheap gas in.....

i don't understand why people buy good cars just to go cheap with them, also why your salesman, who must be an idiot would tell you.... yeh you can put crap in your tank, unless you were on the edge and he told you that to sway you........ then that is your fault and you should of stayed over the edge and bought that honda you wanted

2B7A4 04-09-2008 01:16 PM

not all gas is created equal as well. Iused to drivean 02 jetta and put Safeway gas in it for a short stint and man did my performance suffer. Its crap! I have a 06 A4 now and only put prem in it ,however I only use good petro ;) not only do you get better performance but better mileage. You actually burn through the cheaper stuff sooner then the higher grade petro. So thats the trade off provided your not a lead-foot all the time.

esandes 04-09-2008 02:30 PM

use top tier gas too. google it up. it has good amounts of detergents.

turbo kraut 04-09-2008 02:34 PM

and next time search, this topic has been covered a million times

80sGuy 04-09-2008 05:20 PM

Never use anything lesser than 91 Octane on your A4, or any Audi!

Noffy 04-10-2008 12:45 AM

I also wonder why people go and by a luxury car and then they want to put cheap gas, or cheap ass mods on it, That makes not sense. If you don't mind bad gas mileage, loss of power, sputtering, and shortened engine life put in the cheap gas. You can also save moeny but not changing the oil. It is not like the oil isn't still in the engine, why take it out and put in new?

TorsenTaxi 04-10-2008 06:31 PM

I concur with all the above. In an emergency regularis OK, just use as little as possible. You didn't notice in a half tank because it was either a sufficient mixture to provide the required octane or the ECU had not yet fully adjusted the lambda channels. But as everyone else has already stated, why buy a $35k car then try to save $0.20 a gallon on gas. 16 gallon at $4 per gallon is $64, 16 gallon at $4.20 is $67.20. If the $3.20 saved is required to continue living, I'd still be looking for a different expense tocut the $3 from.

smcgann 04-11-2008 10:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Noffy

You can also save moeny but not changing the oil. It is not like the oil isn't still in the engine, why take it out and put in new?
I hope you were being sarcastic here