B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

strange door wiring issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 10:38 AM
1st Gear
Default strange door wiring issue

Yesterday I had a passenger in my car for the first time and he tried to wind the window down and the button did nothing but worked from the drivers side. Assumed it was the child switch but that made no difference. Tried other doors and they worked so I assumed it was the switch in the door.

Then this morning I received my pack of LED lights and began replacing them in various locations. When I got to the door in question, I noticed that the puddle light at the bottom and the red rear facing light were not working. I also noticed that the door lock button on that door also didn't work.

So my theory is, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is that there are 3 wire harness connections to the door, 1. speakers (which work fine) 2. window motor power (works) and 3. switches and lights (which don't appear to work).

Where would I find this connection in the front passenger door?

I've not even had this car a week, so I'm still learning all that is Audi.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:13 PM
2nd Gear

You most likely would need to pop off the door panel and/or the kick plate in the foot well. Before you do that have you checked to make sure a fuse isn't blown? I would start there and then check the wire running through the door jab for any breaks. If nothing is found there I would check for power to the switch with a test light or meter. If you are getting power than the switch is probably bad (or dirty).

Old 09-01-2017, 08:36 AM
1st Gear

Ok, this is the door latch mechanism. Audi likes to put the "switches" for the doors inside the latch. These switches are what controls the "puddle" lights and such, not sure about the window. It is fairly cheap to buy through ebay, not so cheap from Audi(still not bad, though), but either way, is "fun" to replace. You need to remove the entire window assembly, which includes the upper half or the door frame. I can try to put together a "how-to" if you choose to do it yourself. Not sure of the stateside costs of taking it to a shop to do.